Lawrence Cultural Arts Commission
Community Arts Grant Guidelines
Purpose of the Grant Program: The goals of the Lawrence Cultural Arts Commission (LCAC) Grant Program are to promote awareness of and appreciation for the arts in Lawrence, Kansas, and encourage collaboration within the Lawrence arts community.
Deadline: Submit your application by 4 p.m. on Monday, March 25, 2013. Late and incomplete applications will not be considered; modifications are not allowed after submission.
Level of Support: The maximum award will be $7,000. Most grants are anticipated to be in the $500-$1,000 range. City Arts Grants awards can equal no more than 50% of the total project or activity cost. Third party collaborators should provide at least half of the total activity cost. This cost-share/match may be cash and/or in-kind. Letters of commitment from collaborators and other third-party contributors confirming their contributions to the project are required.
Project Timeline: The proposed arts project or program must begin no earlier than May 1, 2013 and end no later than April 30, 2014. The final report is due no later than August 1, 2014.
Eligible for LCAC grants are organizations with a Lawrence, Kansas, address proposing projects sited in Lawrence that meet the LCAC Grant Program goals. Preference is given to new projects and innovative components of established programs; for example, projects that:
- Encourage interest in and/or expand access to the arts
- Incorporate innovative approaches to the arts and/or arts audiences
- Aim to create and present art in non-traditional venues
- Generate new collaborations or support established collaborations related to the arts
- Increase exposure for Lawrence-based artists or Lawrence arts organizations
- Help leverage major grant funding for the arts in Lawrence
Ineligible for a Lawrence Cultural Arts Commission grant are:
- Educational activities for college students that are a requirement of their major discipline
- Projects that are not collaborative in nature
- Projects that do not take place at least partially within the Lawrence community
- Projects that are not submitted by a Lawrence-based organization or individual
Criteria for Selection:
- Degree to which the project meets the LCAC Grant Program goals: to promote awareness of and appreciation for the arts in Lawrence and encourage collaboration within the Lawrence arts community
- Project’s anticipated impact on the Lawrence art community
- Evidence of matching support sufficient to demonstrate collaboration and community interest
- Artistic value of the project as described by the applicant
- Qualifications and strengths of the collaborators proposing the project
- Soundness of the detailed timeline for implementation
- Budget supports the proposed activities
- Completeness, organization, tidiness, and clarity of the application packet
Post Award Requirements:
- Awardees must acknowledge the support of the Lawrence Cultural Arts Commission in publicity associated with the programming funded by the LCAC Grant and during presentation of the project or program.
- Awardees must submit a final report detailing the outcomes of the project to the Lawrence Cultural Arts Commission no later than August 1, 2014. This report consists of the final report form and documentation of the event, project or program such as photographs, reviews, programs.
Applications must be received by 5:00 pm, Monday, March 25, 2013. Late and incomplete applications will not be considered; no modifications are allowed after submission. Mail the packet to:
Lawrence Cultural Arts Commission
City Manager’s Office
Diane Stoddard, Assistant City Manager
P.O. Box 708
Lawrence, KS 66044
Alternatively, email application packets to Diane Stoddard at email@example.com If choosing this option, compile the components into one (1) PDF document in the order indicated above and attach it to the email. Type LCAC Grant Application in the subject line.