February 5, 2013 – 6:35 p.m.
(Posted on webpage at 4:50 p.m. on 01/31/13)
(10MB files take approximately 45 seconds to open)
02/04/13 @ 2:35 p.m.:
B. CONSENT AGENDA:
1. Approve City Commission meeting minutes from 01/15/13.
2. Receive minutes from various boards and commissions:
Historic Resources Commission meeting of 11/15/12
Planning Commission meeting of 12/10/12
Public Health board meeting of 11/19/12
3. Approve all claims. The list of approved claims will be posted to the agenda the day after the City Commission meeting.
4. Approve licenses as recommended by the City Clerk’s Office.
5. Approve appointments (updated 02/04/13) as recommended by the Mayor.
6. Bid and purchase items:
a) Set a bid opening date of February 26, 2013, for the 2013 landscape mowing contracts. Staff Memo
b) Set bid date of February 19, 2013 for City Bid No. B1303, City Project No. PW1220, Pennsylvania Street, 8th to 9th brick reconstruction, and 9th Street, Pennsylvania Street to Delaware Street reconstruction. Staff Memo
c) Set a bid date of March 05, 2013 for Bid No. B1305, Project UT1206DS - O’Connell Road Watermain Extension. Staff Memo & Attachments
d) Authorize renewal of the GPS service contract with Network Fleet for an annual fee of $42,895.20. Staff Memo & Attachments
7. Adopt on first reading, Ordinance No. 8831, amending Chapter 6, Article 12 of the City Code to revise the standards related to sidewalk dining to address umbrella height, railing materials, and amplified music and sound within sidewalk dining areas. Staff Memo & Attachments
8. Adopt the following ordinances on second and final reading:
a) Ordinance No. 8805, to rezone (Z-12-00119) approximately 32.5 acres (and adjacent railroad right-of-way) from I-4 (Heavy Industrial) and VC (Valley Channel) Districts to UR-FP (Urban Reserve – Floodplain Overlay) District, located in the former Farmland Industries property, N of K-10 between Greenway Circle & E 1575 Rd). (PC Item 4A; approved 6-0-1 on 9/24/12) Staff Report
b) Ordinance No. 8806, to rezone (Z-12-00120) approximately 167.94 acres (and adjacent railroad right-of-way) from I-4 (Heavy Industrial) District to UR (Urban Reserve) District, located in the former Farmland Industries property, N of K-10 between Greenway Circle & E 1575 Rd. (PC Item 4B; approved 6-0-1 on 9/24/12) Staff Report
c) Ordinance No. 8807, to rezone (Z-12-00121) approximately 170.7 acres (and adjacent highway right-of-way) from I-4 (Heavy Industrial), I-1 (Limited Industrial), A (Agricultural) County Districts and CC200 (Community Commercial Center) City District to IG (General Industrial) District, located in the former Farmland Industries property, N of K-10 between Greenway Circle & E 1575 Rd. (PC Item 4C; approved 6-0-1 on 9/24/12) Staff Report
d) Ordinance No. 8808, to rezone (Z-12-00122) approximately 59.0 acres (and adjacent highway right-of-way) from I-1 (Limited Industrial), B-1 (Neighborhood Business); A (Agricultural) [County Districts] and IG (General Industrial) District to IM (Medium Industrial) District, located in the former Farmland Industries property, N of K-10 between Greenway Circle & E 1575 Rd. (PC Item 4D; approved 6-0-1 on 9/24/12) Staff Report
e) Ordinance No. 8809, for a Special Use Permit (SUP-12-00100) for a Westar substation to provide electricity to the Former Farmland Industries property and surrounding properties. (PC Item 4F; approved 6-0-1 on 9/24/12) Staff Report
9. Initiate rezoning of 2200 E. 23rd Street and 2206 E. 23rd Street from UR (Urban Reserve) District and RS10 (Single-Dwelling Residential) District to CS (Commercial Strip) District. Staff Memo
10. Authorize Staff to advertise a Request for Proposals, RFP R1304, for Engineering Design Services for Project UT1302CS Pump Station PS04 Redundant Forcemain. Staff Memo & Attachments
11. Authorize Mayor to sign Authority to Award Contract/Commitment of city funds for construction of Iowa Reconstruction Project and authorize payment of the Kansas Department of Transportation in the amount of $1,070,000 for city share of construction costs. Authorize Mayor to sign KDOT city/state agreement for Construction Engineering Inspection Services for Iowa Reconstruction Project. Staff Memo & Attachments
12. Approve request for “signs of community interest” from the Pilot Club of Lawrence to place a directional temporary sign at the northwest corner of Harper and 23rd Streets, on the US Bank property, advertising the Antique Show & Sale. The sign will be placed from February 22 through February 23, 2013.
13. Approve request for “signs of community interest” from the Lawrence Home Builders Association to place temporary directional signs throughout various locations throughout the City for the Lawrence Home Show. The signs would be placed February 11 and removed February 18, 2013.
14. Authorize the City Manager to execute a Professional Services Agreement with Olsson Associates in the amount of $39,917.28 for Transit Center Location Analysis. Staff Memo & Attachments
15. Receive the petition to establish a Community Improvement District (CID) to utilize special assessments to fund underground utilities along Pennsylvania Street and adopt on first reading, Ordinance No. 8834, establishing the community improvement District. Staff Memo & Attachments
16. Authorize submitting the Haskell Rail Trail, Breezedale Monuments, and Santa Fe Station projects’ Transportation Enhancement applications to the Kansas Department of Transportation by the application deadline of February 15, 2013. Staff Memo & Attachments
D. REGULAR AGENDA ITEMS:
1. Receive update on 1106 Rhode Island regarding owner’s progress of determining plan of rehabilitation for the structures located on the property. Staff Memo & Attachments
ACTION: Direct staff as appropriate.
2. Receive a revised request from Downtown Lawrence Inc., to install a sign of community interest at the corner of 9th and Massachusetts Street. On August 21, 2012 the City Commission received the request for the sign and asked DLI to return with additional information. Staff Memo & Attachments
ACTION: Direct staff, as appropriate.
3. Consider initiating a text amendment to the Land Development Code that considers revising/clarifying the occupancy limits in all zoning districts. Staff Memo & Attachments Commercial Districts Industrial Districts PU and MU Districts Correspondence - Added 02/04/13
ACTION: Initiate text amendment, if appropriate.
4. Consider the following items related to the infrastructure improvements for the former Farmland Industries property: Staff Memo & Attachments
a) Adopt Resolution No. 7003, establishing a public hearing on the establishment of a Benefit District for street and water main improvements on February 19, 2013.
b) Adopt Resolution No. 7004, establishing a Public Hearing on the establishment of a Benefit District for sanitary sewer improvements on February 19, 2013.
c) Set bid date of March 12, 2013 to receive bids on the Farmland infrastructure projects.
ACTION: Adopt Resolution No. 7003 and Resolution No. 7004, establishing a public hearing date of February 19, 2013 on the establishment of a benefit district for sewer and water main improvements and sanitary sewer improvements, and set bid date of March 12, 2013, if appropriate.
5. Receive City Auditor presentation on Performance Audit: Managing the Taste of Water. Report
ACTION: Receive report.
E. PUBLIC COMMENT:
F. FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS: Staff Memo & Attachments
G. COMMISSION ITEMS:
H. CALENDAR: 2013 Meeting List
· Success By 6 Coalition of Douglas County breakfast, Thursday, January 24, 8:00 – 9:30 a.m. Location: Maceli’s, 1031 New Hampshire Street. Invitation
· Chamber of Commerce Annual Meeting, Friday, January 25. Location: Liberty Hall/Eldridge. Time: TBD.
· Joint Economic Development Council meeting, Friday, February 1, 7:30 a.m. Location: City Commission Room.
· City Commission Study Session on Water/Wastewater Master Plan, Tuesday, February 12, 4:00 p.m. Location: City Commission Room.
· Boys and Girls Club 2013 Youth of the Year Celebration, Wednesday, February 6, Lied Center. Time: 6:30 p.m.
· City offices closed February 18 in observance of Presidents’ Day.
I. CURRENT VACANCIES – BOARDS/COMMISSIONS:
Listed below are existing and upcoming vacancies on City of Lawrence Boards and Commissions. If interested in serving on a board, citizens should visit the website at http://www.lawrenceks.org/boards to volunteer online, or send a letter of interest to the Mayor, P.O. Box 708, Lawrence, KS 66044.
150th Anniversary Advisory Committee:
This is a new committee that shall have nine (9) members and will be tasked with advising the City Commission on the implementation of the 150th Anniversary schedule of events and to recognize the 150th Anniversary of the August 21, 1863 raid on the City of Lawrence by Quantrill and his followers.
Two vacancies for positions that expired 05/31/12.
One vacancy for a position that expires 09/30/13.
One position expires 12/31/12 and is eligible for reappointment to an additional term.
One vacancy for a position that expired 09/30/12.
Downtown Task Force:
Appointment of seven to eleven members available on this newly formed task force.
One vacancy for a position that expired 03/31/12. Eligibility requirements exist for this board.
One vacancy for a position that expires 12/31/14.
Two vacancies for positions that expired 09/30/12. One vacancy for a position that expires 09/30/14.
One vacancy on this board.
One vacancy for a position that expires 04/30/14.
One vacancy for a position that expired 12/31/12.
One vacancy for a position that expires 12/31/13.