Downtown Outdoor Sculpture
About the Exhibition:
The Lawrence Cultural Arts Commission's Outdoor Downtown Sculpture Exhibition has a proud tradition. The exhibition was founded by Jim Patti and is sponsored by the Lawrence Cultural Arts Commission, which receives financial and staff support from the City of Lawrence. The exhibition also receives additional support from the Lawrence Convention and Visitors Bureau, and the Lawrence Arts Center. Works are displayed in downtown Lawrence, along Massachusetts Street and adjacent areas. Massachusetts Street was named in 2010 as a "Top 10 Great Street" in America by the American Planning Association.
Outdoor Downtown Sculpture Exhibition (ODSE) - 2016
The opening reception and walking tour for this year's ODSE will begin at South Park/Parks and Recreation office at 5:30 P.M. on Friday, June 10
James Martin is an independent consultant, curator, educator and writer based in the Kansas City area. He currently consults on public art for the municipalities of Gladstone, MO; Leawood, KS; Merriam, KS; and Olathe, KS. In spring 2016 he served as curator of Chromaphilia for the Kansas City Art Institute Gallery, an exhibition of alumni of the KCAI Ceramics Department held in conjunction with the annual conference of the National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts. He also writes freelance essays and art reviews for Kansas City-area organizations and publications. He holds a BA in Art History from the University of Kansas and an MA in Art History from Case Western Reserve University.
The 28th Annual ODSE artists with the titles and locations of their artworks:
- John Rasmussen, Lawrence, KS - “Blue and Gold” (South Park, East Side/North Entry)
- Neil Goss, Lawrence, KS - “Medicinal Birch: Visual Consumption” (South Park, West Side)
- Samuel Balbuena, Lawrence, KS - “Concrete Tree“ (Eldridge Hotel – in planter)
- Kati Toivanen, Kansas City, MO - “Treasure Hunt” (Ten locations on Massachusetts Street)
- Dave Root, Prairie Village, KS - “Portage” (Mid-block 8th/9th and Mass, east side)
- Will Vannerson, Kansas City, MO - “Borborygmid 8” (Library Plaza)
- Darin and Shannon White, Lawrence, KS - “Sound Shapes” (9th and Mass, SE Corner)
- Kristin Garnant, Camanche, IA - “Dance Diagram” (Theatre Lawrence)
Additional Information/Questions: Porter Arneill, Arts & Culture Director and liaison to the Lawrence Cultural Arts Commission – 785-832-3402 or email@example.com