- Planning and Development
- Development Services
- Advisory Board Agendas and Minutes
- Building Safety Division
- Division Overview
- Building Codes and Permitting Process
- Building Permit Inspections and Scheduling
- Certificate of Occupancy Requirements, Policies & Procedures
- Interactive Building Permits Map
- Building Permit Reports
- Contractor & Trade Licensing
- Sign Code and Permits; Sign Hanger Licensing
- Requests for Building Permit Records or Sign Permit Records
- Code Enforcement Division
- Community Development Division
- Community Development Block Grant (CDBG)/ HOME Investment Partnerships Program (HOME)
- Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG)
- Environmental Health Hazards
- Housing Assistance Programs
- Investment Projects
- Neighborhood Information
- Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP)
- Reports and Plans
- Development Regulations
- Small Business
Historic Preservation in the City of Lawrence
A Historic Preservation Ordinance, Chapter 22 - Conservation of Historic Resources Code, has been enacted by the City of Lawrence to help protect and encourage the preservation of Lawrence's historic and architectural resources. The Ordinance establishes the Historic Resources Commission (HRC) and calls for the establishment of local historic districts and local landmarks.
In addition to the City of Lawrence's Historic Preservation Ordinance, the State of Kansas has adopted the Kansas Historic Preservation Act (K.S.A. 75-2715 - 75-2725) which provides for the protection of properties listed on the Register of Historic Kansas Places and the National Register of Historic Places. Currently, the City of Lawrence has entered into an agreement with the State Historic Preservation Officer for the HRC to conduct reviews required by this statute in Lawrence.
Provides information on agendas, commission members, scheduling and deadlines.
Design Guidelines guide development in locally designated areas of Lawrence to preserve and protect historic elements and foster economic vitality.
The Conservation of Historic Resources Code has been enacted by the City of Lawrence to provide a mechanism to identify and conserve the distinctive historic and architectural characteristics and other historic resources of the city which represent elements of the city's cultural, social, economic, political, and architectural history.
Lawrence Thematic National Register Nomination (PDF, 1.38 MB)
The developmental and chronological interpretation of the city's history used for National Register of Historic Places nominations.