- Planning and Development
- Development Services
- Advisory Board Agendas and Minutes
- Building Safety Division
- Division Overview
- Building Codes and Permitting Process
- Building Permit Inspections and Scheduling
- Certificate of Occupancy Requirements, Policies & Procedures
- Interactive Building Permits Map
- Building Permit Reports
- Contractor & Trade Licensing
- Sign Code and Permits; Sign Hanger Licensing
- Requests for Building Permit Records or Sign Permit Records
- Code Enforcement Division
- Community Development Division
- Community Development Block Grant (CDBG)/ HOME Investment Partnerships Program (HOME)
- Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG)
- Environmental Health Hazards
- Housing Assistance Programs
- Investment Projects
- Neighborhood Information
- Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP)
- Reports and Plans
- Development Regulations
- Small Business
Rental Licensing and Inspection
In April 2014, the Lawrence City Commission voted to expand the city's Rental Registration Ordinance to all rental properties in Lawrence.
The city has been working since that time to develop the program and educate landlords and tenants about how the program. Here you will find information specific to landlords or tenants. Please feel free to contact our staff through email, in person or by phone with questions.
Effective January 1, 2015, all rental properties in Lawrence are required to maintain a valid rental license in compliance with City Ordinance 8840. Find out more about the inspection process, registration and general program information.
The City of Lawrence cares about our residents and wants to ensure conditions in their homes are safe and habitable. As of January 1, 2015, all residential rental properties will be required to have a valid rental license and periodic inspections. As a tenant, we want you to know about the licensing program and how this program will affect you.