<< Share the Road Home
Tips for motorists, pedestrians and bicyclists.
- Yield to pedestrians and cyclists.
- Pass with care: Slow down when passing bicyclists.
- Give bikes space: Give at least 3 feet of passing space between the right side of your vehicle and a bicyclist.
- Look for bikes and pedestrians at intersections.
- Expect bikes on the road
- Look for cyclists when opening doors. Recognize situations that could be dangerous for bicyclists, like potholes, debris and drain grates. Give bicyclists enough room to maneuver around trouble spots.
- Don’t honk your horn: Do not blast your horn when approaching a bicyclist – you could startle the rider and cause a crash.
- Wait to pass: Do not pass a bicyclist if you will be making a right turn in front of them. Do not pass a bicyclist on a narrow two-lane road when oncoming traffic is near.
- Children on bicycles and on foot are often unpredictable in their actions. Expect the unexpected.