Earth Day Celebration
16th Annual Earth Day Parade & Celebration
Saturday, April 23rd
Free Admission - No Rain Date
Earth Day, observed on April 22nd, was created in 1970 to inspire awareness and appreciation for the Earth’s natural environment. After over 40 years, Americans are still dedicated to creating and maintaining a healthy and sustainable environment. Come join the City of Lawrence in celebrating Earth Day!
PARADE FOR THE EARTH @ 11:00 AM
The Parade for the Earth is hosted by KU Environs, and will go from Buford Watson Park to South Park along Massachusetts Street. Staging for the parade begins at 10 am.
For more information, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CELEBRATION IN SOUTH PARK
11:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
South Park at 11th & Massachusetts Street
CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE EVENT MAP!
The celebration in the park features live music, food, vendors and children’s activities. Attendees are invited to learn from exhibits about waste reduction, recycling, composting, alternative fuels and vehicles, energy conservation, land preservation, wildlife and habitat preservation, and more.
The Lawrence Transit System will offer free rides on the T all day Saturday, April 23, providing the experience and benefits of public transportation on all fixed routes. To get help planning a route or for more information, call (785) 864-4644 or visit www.lawrencetransit.org to view schedules.
Activities & Entertainment
- Live Music from 12:45-4:15 PM @ the South Park Gazebo!
Performers are: Lance Fahy, KT/DG, Jack Klinknett, and Sugarfoot Detour.
- Advantage Metals 'Scrap Showdown' Metal Sculpture Contest
- Free Bike Valet with the Health Department
- South Park Tree I.D. Tours led by Lawrence Parks & Recreation at 12:30, 1:30, and 2:30
- Free Yoga in the park with OmTree Shala, 12:00-4:00 p.m. (every half hour classes)
- Happy Face Painting
- Jump for Kids - Bouncy House
- ReCycle Cycle
- Air Summer Snow - Snow Cones
- Boyer's Artisan Meatballs
- Fine Thyme Food
- Queen of Tarts
- The Purple Carrot Co-op
- Torched Goodness
- KU Student Farm
- KU Student Housing Association-Sunflower Cooperative
- Lawrence Acupuncture
- Lawrence Coalition for Peace and Justice
- Lawrence Douglas County Bicycle Advisory Committee
- Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department - Air Quality
- Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department - Bike Valet
- Lawrence Ecology Teams United in Sustainability (LETUS)
- Lawrence Habitat for Humanity ReStore
- Lawrence Transit System
- Mid America Regional Council - RideShare
- Oread Friends Meeting
- Prairie Moon Waldorf School
- Prairie Park Nature Center
- Soka Gakai International (SGI-USA)
- Sprouts Farmers Market
- St John the Evangelist Social Concerns Committee
- Sunrise Project
- Ten Thousand Villages
- Trinity Environmental Stewardship Team - Trinity Episcopal Church
- U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary
- USD 497 School Gardens
- Wakarusa Sierra Club
- Black Jack Battlefield and Nature Park
- Blue Lotus Integrative Therapies
- C. Michael Exteriors
- Cans for the Community
- Central Plains Center for BioAssessment
- Citizens Climate Lobby
- City of Lawrence Parks & Recreation Department
- City of Lawrence Solid Waste Division
- City of Lawrence Stormwater Division
- Community Village Lawrence
- Debra Newman Art
- Douglas County Child Abuse Prevention Task Force
- Douglas County Conservation District
- Douglas County Democratic Party
- Eagles' Rest Natural Home
- ECM-Ecumenical Campus Ministries
- Falun Gong
- First Presbyterian Church Eco-Team
- Food & Water Watch
- Free State High School, Environmental Club
- Friends of the Kaw
- Garden Incubator - North Lawrence
- Girl Scouts of KS & MO
- Good Energy Solutions
- Grasslands Heritage Foundation
- Jayhawk Audubon Society
- Kansas Green Party
- KU Environs
For more information, please call (785) 832-3030 or send an email to email@example.com.