Frequently Asked Questions

Utility Billing

Where do I pay my water bill?

Billing related questions and problems or to establish, transfer, terminate water, sewer and trash services contact Utility Billing at (785) 832-7878.

Water and Wastewater issues

How do I report a water or sewer emergency?

Contact the Department of Utilities at (785) 832-7800 during working hours or to report a water or sewer emergency after business hours or during weekends and holidays.

What services does the Utilities Department provide for the City of Lawrence?

  • Request an application for new installation service on construction
  • Report a water main break/leak
  • Get information about water treatment
  • Report a problem with your sanitary sewer
  • Request maintenance or repair of fire hydrants

Water services

Who do I call about pipe damage?

For water meters, damaged, broken and frozen pipes call (785) 832-7878.

Who do I contact regarding low water pressure?

If you have low water pressure call (785) 832-7878.

Can a water main replacement or repair affect my water quality?

Yes, water main replacement or repair can have an effect, as well as starting a new service or resuming water service after it has been shut off. It is not uncommon to experience cloudy or discolored water temporarily after one of these occurrences. If any of these have occurred recently, we recommend that you take the following steps:

  • Use the faucet closest to the to where the water initially enters your home.
  • Remove the aerator (screen) from the faucet.
  • Run the cold water for 3-5 minutes at a high flow rate from the faucet on the lowest level of the building. Avoid using hot water.
  • Make sure the first faucet is clear before moving on to the next faucet.
  • Move to the next faucet and repeat procedure until all faucets have been flushed (including the tub and shower).
  • Remember to flush all faucets, including refrigerator water dispensers, ice makers, and water heaters.
  • Clean the faucet aerators or replace those that are in poor condition. These are available at local hardware stores.


How are the sewers maintained?

Public sanitary sewers are maintained by the Utilities Department.

Public storm sewers are maintained by the Public Works Department (785) 832-3143.

Who is responsible for sewer lids in the city?

The City maintains both sanitary and storm sewer lids. For information about sanitary sewer lids, contact the Utilities Department at (785) 832-7800.

Information about storm sewer lids, contact the Public Works at (785) 832-3027