Ordinance No. 9397 adopted on November 7, 2017, describes the Public Incentives Review Committee (PIRC). Ordinance No. 9458, adopted on May 1, 2018, clarifies the membership to the the eight (8) member committee, which is comprised of:
- one member of the Douglas County Commission, appointed by the County Commission;
- one member of the USD #497 School Board or School Board representative, appointed by the School Board;
- the Chair of the Economic Development of Douglas County Board;
- a resident of Lawrence, from a list of not less than three people chosen by the Sustainability Advisory Board, appointed by the Mayor and City Commission;
- a professional financial analyst appointed by the Mayor and City Commission; and
- three citizens at-large, appointed by the Mayor and City Commission.
The PIRC reviews economic development incentive requests and makes recommendations to the City Commission and other governing bodies as appropriate. The PIRC also reviews the annual budget requests for the City of Lawrence and Douglas County for economic development related agencies and makes recommendations on those requests.
The PIRC meets as needed to review incentive applications. Meetings are generally held during the day and information will be posted ahead of the meeting dates.