As part of the 2018 budget cycle, the City Commission has approved a $150,000 grant program to encourage, promote and strengthen events and programs that benefit the Lawrence community and/or enhance the visitor experience in Lawrence. This program is overseen by the Transient Guest Tax Program Advisory Board.
The following goals and guidelines will be used in considering requests for funds from the Transient Guest Tax Grant Program (TGT).
The Transient Guest Tax Grant Program will provide funding for specific events which meet the following goals:
- Demonstrate a measurable economic benefit including enhancing the cultural economy or travel/tourism economy, create additional transient guest tax and sales tax; and
- Enhance Lawrence’s character and reputation for tourist activities and demonstrate pull of regional visitors.
In order to be considered, the online grant application must be completed (application is below). The grant program will have one funding cycle each calendar year (for events occurring January 1 to December 31, 2018). This program is administered through the City Manager’s Office with an Advisory Board that will make recommendations to the City Commission for final approval.
- October 5 to November 3, 2017 – Application period for grants for FY2018
- October 6 (2-3 p.m.) – Informational meeting for grant applicants – City Hall, Commission Room
- November 17 (1-3:30 p.m.) – Advisory Board meeting (3-minute presentations) – Carnegie Building
- December 1 (1-3 p.m.) – Advisory Board meeting (review scoring matrix and make recommendations) – City Hall, Commission Room
- December 19 – City Commission reviews funding recommendations for approval
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Please contact Porter Arneill, Director of Arts & Culture, (785) 832-3402, firstname.lastname@example.org.
2018 GRANT APPLICATION
The deadline to apply for 2018 funding was midnight November 3, 2017.
The 2019 grant application will open in the fall of 2018.