The Common Ground Program is a community gardening and urban agriculture program created by the City of Lawrence in 2012. The City leases vacant or under-utilized properties to citizens for free, with one rule – the sites must be used to grow food. This past year, our gardens, farms and orchards were tended by 200 growers, supported by 900+ volunteers, and generated 6,500 lbs in produced donated to those in need in our community. Read the 2016 End of Season Report
Looking for information about what you can grow on your own property? Check out the City’s Urban Agriculture Guidelines, here: lawrenceks.org/urban-ag
Common Ground Sites
- Garden Incubator at John Taylor Park (7th & Walnut): Community garden with plots for adults and children to rent. Project Coordinator: TBD. This site currently needs a garden coordinator! Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- PermaCommons (1304 Pennsylvania St.): Cooperatively-managed permaculture demonstration garden. Volunteers can participate and share produce. Project Coordinator: Cody (email@example.com).
- Penn St. Community Garden (1313 Pennsylvania St.): Community garden. Offers 10×10 and 10×20 garden plots for rent. Project Coordinator: Adam (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Pearl Clark Community Garden (639 Illinois St.): Community garden with plots for rent. Project Coordinator: Janice (email@example.com)
- Little Prairie Community Garden (Peterson Rd. and N. Iowa St.): Community garden with plots for rent. Project Coordinators: Danielle Brunin and Bridget Meier (firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com)
- Just Food Community Garden and Farm (817 Oak St.): A community garden with plots for rent plus a startup farm plot for Just Food clients. Project Coordinator: Aundrea Shafer (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The Lawrence Community Orchard (830 Garfield St.): Cooperatively-managed orchard for free picking. Volunteers needed. Project Coordinator: Melissa Freiburger (email@example.com).
- Oread Friends Garden/Farm (1146 Oregon St.): Project Coordinator: TBD. This site currently needs a garden coordinator! Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Incubator Farm at 24/40: An incubator farm where four small vegetable farm businesses are getting off the ground. Contact email@example.com for more information.
- Willow Domestic Violence Center garden (1920 Moodie): This garden is managed by Willow DV staff and produce is donated to program participants.