An annual celebration in South Park featuring live music, yoga, local food vendors, environmental exhibits and children’s activities. Through exhibits, attendees are invited to learn about waste reduction, recycling, composting, alternative fuels and vehicles, energy conservation, land preservation, wildlife and habitat preservation, and more.
Save the date for April 2020!
On Saturday, April 20, 2019, the City of Lawrence hosted the 19th Annual Earth Day Celebration. Events included a parade hosted by KU Environs, South Park tree identification tours hosted by the Parks & Recreation Department and live music at the Gazebo. In 2019, there were 55 exhibitors and 7 local food vendors. The Lawrence Transit System offered free rides all day, providing the experience and benefits of public transportation on all fixed routes.
The purpose of the Earth Day Celebration is to gather community members to connect, discover, and celebrate local organizations and businesses who support a healthy, sustainable environment. At the same time, the Celebration engages event goers with fun activities and exhibitions.
To view photo albums of the 19th Annual Earth Day Parade & Celebration, click here!
For more 2019 event information, please read the 2019 Event Report
PARADE FOR THE EARTH @ 11:00 AM
- The Parade for the Earth is hosted by KU Environs, and will go from 8th Street to South Park along Massachusetts Street. Staging for the parade begins at 10:30 a.m.
CELEBRATION IN SOUTH PARK –
- 11:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- South Park at 11th & Massachusetts Street
- The celebration in the park features live music, food, vendors and children’s activities. Attendees are invited to learn from exhibits about waste reduction, recycling, composting, energy conservation, land preservation, wildlife and habitat preservation, and more.
The Lawrence Transit System offered free rides on their busses all day Saturday, April 20, providing the experience and benefits of public transportation on all fixed routes. To get help planning a route or for more information, call (785) 864-4644 or visit www.lawrencetransit.org to view schedules.
Activities & Entertainment
- Live Music from 12:30-4:00 PM @ the South Park Gazebo
- The PerSisters Vocal Group
- Sugarfoot Detour, folk rock
- Easy G
- South Park Tree I.D. Tours led by Lawrence Parks & Recreation at 12:30, 1:30, and 2:30
- Yoga in the park from Westside Yoga every half hour beginning at noon
- Air Summer Snow – Snow Cones
- Boyer’s Artisan Meatballs
- JB’s Tacos
- Kona Ice of Lawrence and Topeka
- Queen of Tarts
- Sarah’s Sweet Tarts and Treats, LLC
- Torched Goodness
- KU Vegan Club
- Lawrence Transit
- LeafFilter north of Missouri, LLC
- LeafGuard of Kansas City
- League of Women Voters
- LETUS, Sustainability Action Network
- Native Lands LLC
- Natural Grocers
- Operation Wildlife
- Oread Friends Meeting
- Pelathe District, Heart of America Council, Scouts BSA
- Plymouth Congregational Church
- Prairie Moon Waldorf School
- Prairie Park Nature Center
- Quiet Trees
- Seal Smart
- Sierra Club – Wakarusa Group
- Soka Gakai International
- Sunrise Movement
- Tall Oaks Camp & Conference Center
- Ten Thousand Villages
- Tenants to Homeowners, Inc.
- The Energy of Sound
- The Light Center
- The Rockland
- Trinity Episcopal Church
- USCG Auxiliary – Perry Flotilla 09
- Westside Yoga
- Advantage Metals
- Animal Outreach of Kansas and Lawrence Area Vegan Association
- Black Jack Battlefield and Nature Park
- Bleeding Kansas Advocates
- Cans for the Community
- Central Plains Center for BioAssessment
- Citizens’ Climate Lobby
- City of Lawrence MSO Environment
- City of Lawrence Solid Waste Division
- Clean Air Now
- Cromwell Solar
- DG Co. Child Abuse Prevention Task Force
- Douglas County Democratic Party
- Fairy Fox Design
- Falun Gong / Falun Dafa
- First Presbyterian Church Eco-Team
- Friends of Hidden Valley
- Friends of the Kaw
- Good Energy Solutions
- Hague Quality Water
- Jayhawk Audubon Society
- “Just One Moore”
- Kansas City Animal Save
- Kansas Green Party
- Kansas Riverkings Museum
- KU Community Garden
- KU Ecology & Evolutionary Biology Grad Student Org.
- KU Environs
- KU Natural History Museum – Mobile Museum
PREVIOUS EVENT REPORTS