Safety Tips for a HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Make fire safety your New Years Resolution.
- Test your smoke alarms and tell guests about your home fire escape plan.
- Keep children and pets away from lit candles.
- Keep matches and lighters up high in a locked cabinet.
- Stay in the kitchen when cooking on the stovetop.
- Ask smokers to smoke outside. Provide deep ashtrays and wet cigarette butts with water before discarding.
Nightclubs And Other Public Assembly Buildings
Before You Enter
- Is the building in a condition that makes you feel comfortable? Is the main entrance wide and does it open outward to allow easy exit? Is the outside area clear of materials that may block exits?
- Have a communication plan. Identify a relative or friend to contact in case of emergency.
- Pick a meeting place outside to meet family or friends if there is an emergency.
- Look for all available exits and be prepared to use the closest one.
- Make sure aisles are wide enough and not obstructed by chairs or furniture. Check to make sure your exit door is not blocked or chained.
- Are there fire sources such as candles burning, cigarettes or cigars burning, pyrotechnics, or other heat sources that may make you feel unsafe? Are there safety systems in place such as alternative exits, sprinklers, and smoke alarms?
During an emergency
- If an alarm sounds, you see smoke or fire, or any other unusual disturbance, exit the building immediately.
- Once you are out, stay out! Under no circumstances should you ever go back into a burning building. Let trained firefighters conduct rescue operations.