DISCLAIMERDue to COVID-19 restrictions in the workplace, we’re changing our hiring activities to protect the public and workers here at the City. We are NOT in a hiring freeze; however, in most cases the selection process has been halted temporarily, or hiring activities have been pushed out by a few weeks. Please be patient with us as we working through existing recruitments. We will still accept online applications on the City Jobs page. Selection process will be conducted via remote teleconferencing in most cases. The Human Resources Division is currently available by phone, email, and by appointment only. Thanks again for your patience during this difficult time, we look forward to resuming regular activities as soon as is safe and feasible. City of Lawrence Human Resources
Applications for city jobs are only accepted online. You must have an email address to submit an application and create a new applicant profile, however, you do not need to register as a user in order to view job postings. Applicants can create a user login and password to store profile application information. Applicants will also have the ability to update the profile application anytime prior to applying for open positions, but you must still apply for each position that is of interest as it opens. The online application offers applicants the opportunity to include a resume; however all of the relevant fields on the application must also be completed. If you attach your resume/cover letter but do not complete the application, your application may not be considered.
Vacancies are posted online as they become available. After reviewing job descriptions thoroughly, apply only if you feel reasonably certain you meet the requirements. Employment applications are accepted for current job openings only.
Executive Positions Available!
Chief of Police– The City of Lawrence has partnered with Ralph Andersen Associates to perform the executive search for our new Chief of Police. To view the job information, and to apply for the position, please go to https://www.ralphandersen.com/jobs/lawrence-ks-cop/
Director of Human Resources– The City of Lawrence has partnered with Strategic Government Resources (SGR) to perform the executive search for our new Director of Human Resources. To view the job information, and to apply for the position, please go to https://www.governmentresource.com/executive-recruitment/open-recruitments/lawrence-ks-human-resources-director
Interested in a job with the City of Lawrence? Watch this video to learn more about working for the city.
- If you do not have access to a computer at home to submit an online application, computer access is available at public libraries, the Lawrence Workforce Center, or use any of the self-service kiosks located on the 1st Fl. City Hall or any of our Recreation Facilities across town.
- The applicant tracking system does not work with mobile phones or with the Safari browser. You may complete your application at one of the above listed locations.
- Information provided from prospective applicants for city careers may be used to conduct background checks, reference checks or other activities related to the city’s normal hiring process. The city does not sell information about our applicants to any third parties.
- Our online application operates on a secure server to ensure your privacy.
- Because of the volume of applications received, not all applicants are granted an opportunity to interview. If you are selected to interview, city staff will contact you typically within two weeks after the advertised close date.
- There are certain age requirements for some seasonal positions.
The City adopted an Affirmative Action Program for City personnel as Chapter X, Article 1, Section 10-112 and its subsections, of the City Code. It guides all personnel actions to ensure no employee is discriminated against because of race, sex, religion, color, national origin, age, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability. For specific questions relating to Affirmative Action that cannot be answered by supervisors, the Department Director or the Human Resources division, contact the City Attorney’s Office.