200 W. 9th St.
The Carnegie building was constructed in 1904 with a grant worth approximately $27,000 from Andrew Carnegie. During the 1930’s an addition was build to accommodate the growing volume of books and materials. It served as the Lawrence public library until a new library was constructed in 1972.
The Lawrence Arts Center inhabited the building from 1975 through 2002. It was also in 1975 that the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places as the Old City Library.
In January of 2011 the Lawrence Parks and Recreation Department began operating the facility, once again making it available for public use. Destination Management and the Freedom’s Frontier National Heritage Area will have offices in the facility, as well as exhibit space to display historical information about Lawrence and the surrounding area.
The Heritage Room
- Full-Size Refrigerator
- Countertop Space
|The Heritage Room||30′-10″ x 71 (2189 Square Ft)||Reception Style/160
|East Gallery Room||26′-11″ x 23 (619 Square Ft)”||Reception Style/48
|The Conference Room
|27 x 23 (621 Square Ft),||seats up to 35 people|
Saturday Rental Rates
Reservations taking place Saturdays have use of the entire facility. Rooms may not be rented separately on Saturdays.
Deposit is required for all reservations.
Facility reservations are due 30 days in advance of the reservation.
|Saturday||$995 – Time restriction apply, call (785) 832-7920 for more information|
|Deposit||$100 – Barring any damage to the facility and/or equipment and assuming all rules and regulations are followed the deposit will be refunded|
Sunday through Friday Rental Rates
The Heritage Room, East Gallery Room and conference room may be rented separately on weekdays (Mon – Thurs).
|Rate||The Heritage Room||$40 per hour|
|East Gallery||$30 per hour|
|Conference Room||$25 per hour|
Call (785) 832-3450 for more information.