230 West 6th Street
J. L. “Tommy” Constant Park was developed through an acquition of land along 6th Street between the bridge and Tennessee Street. It was made possible by a bequest from the Constant estate.
J.L Constant owned Constant Construction Company and was a benefactor for the University of Kansas and Baker Universtiy, as well as the City of Lawrence. He served as a Lawrence City Commissioner, served many positions with the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce and played a role on the Lawrence Industrial Development Company. He died September 21, 1973, at the age of 74.
As an original stockholder in the Lawrence Industrial Development Company, Constant helped bring about local development, such as FMC, Halmark and the Santa Fe Industrial Park.
DESCRIPTION OF PARK
Land has been cleared for a view of the river and a 1/2 mile urban trail along the river north to Burcham Park.
The amenities of the park include:
- Open Space
- Small picnic areas with tables
There are no shelters located in Constant Park.
Reservations for outdoor shelters and indoor facilities are taken at any of the community recreation centers including the Community Building, 115 West 11th St.; East Lawrence Recreation Center, 1245 East 15th St.; Holcom Park Recreation Center, 2700 West 27th St.; Lawrence Indoor Aquatic Center, 4706 Overland Drive and South Park Recreation Center, 1141 Massachusetts St.
See our shelter rentals page for more information on renting these facilities or call (785) 832-7920.