Park Regulations are in accordance with the City of Lawrence City Code. The official version of the Code of the City of Lawrence may be found in the Office of the City Clerk, 3rd floor, City Hall, 6 E. 6th St., Lawrence, Kansas, or online at

Alcoholic Beverages
During approved events at parks and facilities owned by the City of Lawrence and operated by the Department of Parks and Recreation, provided that the sponsor or organizer has obtained a permit issued pursuant to the rules and regulations of the Department of Parks and Recreation and that the drinking or consumption of cereal malt beverage is conducted in accord with the reasonable conditions established by the permit (4-203 C3).

Dogs and cats in public parks must be on a leash or physically under their keepers’ control. Dogs at City dog parks are not required to be on a leash. Owners are required to “pick up the poop” and dispose of it properly (1-107; 3-202). Horses are not allowed in any public park in the City (16-101).

Fires and Burning
Except in designated barbecue pits or fire pits, a permit from the Fire Chief is required before burning is allowed on public property or in City parks. Fires must be constantly attended and completely extinguished before being left alone. (8-202.25)

Litter must be put in public trash receptacles or carried away from the park and properly disposed of elsewhere (14-109). Glass bottles are discouraged in recreational facilities and parks.

Motorized Vehicles
Motorized vehicles are prohibited in public parks, except for roadways and parking lots. (17-216)

Park Hours
Public parks within the City shall be open daily to the public from 6 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. (Burcham Park: 5 a.m. – 10:30 p.m.). Variances from these hours require a permit granted by Lawrence Parks and Recreation. (15-208)

Posting Notices
Posters and fliers may not be affixed to any lamppost or utility pole, shade tree, trash receptacle or public structure or building unless authorized by law or approved by the City Commission. (14-117)

Public Events
Public events in parks require a permit granted by Lawrence Parks and Recreation. (15-207)