201 Maine Street
Woody Park was originally known as Lincoln Park when it was created in 1936. Elgin Woody, often referred to as “The Mayor of Lincoln Park,” helped develop this 4-acre site into one of Lawrence’s first ball fields to promote organized recreation for whom he called “youngsters.” He organized softball teams that carried the name Woody’s Aces and took care of the field for 38 years. In 1973, Lincoln Park was named Woody Park to honor Mr. Woody, who for years had helped maintain the area and organize athletic events when recreational facilities for African Americans were limited.
DESCRIPTION OF PARK
Sitting in the shadow of Lawrence Memorial Hospital and numerous doctor’s offices, Woody Park is home to a historic baseball diamond.
The amenities of the park include:
- Baseball/Softball Field
If you are looking to reserve an outdoor shelters and/or indoor facility, reservations are taken at any of the community recreation centers including the Community Building, 115 West 11th St.; East Lawrence Recreation Center, 1245 East 15th St.; Holcom Park Recreation Center, 2700 West 27th St.; Lawrence Indoor Aquatic Center, 4706 Overland Drive; or Sports Pavilion Lawrence, 100 Rock Chalk Lane. For questions or more information on Special Use Permits, please call the Administrative Office at (785) 832-3450 or email email@example.com. See our shelter rentals page for more information on renting these facilities or call (785) 832-7920.