MUTT RUN located at 1330 East 902 Road
Lawrence Parks and Recreation opened Mutt Run in 2001, and since then, it has been used extensively by dog owners. The park sits on property leased from the U.S. Corps of Engineers below the Clinton Lake Dam in West Lawrence.
Mutt Run is an ideal atmosphere to bond with your dog, enjoy canine interaction and let your dog run free. The park includes restrooms, a drinking fountain, water for dogs and a small parking lot. Mowed paths run through the fields and along wooded areas. Users must be responsible for their pets and obey rules and regulations posted at the site.
To access the park, take Clinton Parkway west to the Clinton Dam road, turn south on the dam road and take the first left onto 902 Road. Follow 902 Road to the first left. The 30-plus acre Off-leash Park is at the bend in the road that leads to the north side of the spillway.
OFF-LEASH DOG PARK AT RIVERFRONT PARK
located at the intersection of North Second St. and Highways 24 and 40
The Off-Leash Dog Park in Riverfront Park was developed in response to public requests for additional off-leash areas in the City’s park system. A similar park, Mutt Run, was open in 2001 on the leased property from the U.S. Corps of Engineers below the Clinton Lake Dam in west Lawrence and has been used extensively by dog owners since its opening.
DOG PARK RULES/REGULATIONS AND CODE OF CONDUCT
The following have been established to provide the safety of park patrons, their pets and for the protection of park resources:
- All dogs declared to be dangerous are not permitted to use the dog parks and shall not be allowed on the premises.
City Code- Ch. 3, Art. 3, Sec. 3-302
- Abide by signs along the trails defining the off-leash dog areas.
- No dogs under four months of age or female dogs in heat are allowed in the areas.
- Dogs must be on-leash when entering and exiting the designated off-leash areas.
- Dogs must be under the control of their handler and in view of handler at all times. When dogs are leashed, handlers must have possession of dog leashes at all times. One leash per dog.
- All dogs must be legally vaccinated and shall wear a visible license. Tags may serve as proof and made available upon request. Dogs should also wear an owner identification tag at all times.
- Handlers must be 16 years-old or older. Children under 16 years old must be accompanied by an adult.
- No spiked or pinch collars.
- To help reduce the potential spread of parasites, handlers must pick up and dispose of their dog’s waste in the collection containers provided.
City Code- Ch. 3, Art. 3, Sec. 3-107
- Handlers must fill all holes dug by dog(s) under their control.
- Dogs must be leashed and removed from the off-leash dog areas at the first sight of aggression.
- Handlers are responsible for any injuries caused by dog(s) under their control.
- Patrons using facilities do so at their own risk. Neither the City of Lawrence nor the Corps of Engineers shall be liable for any injury or damaged caused by any dog or handler in designated areas.
All animal control laws will be in effect under City Ordinance Chapter 3 with the exception of the leash law.