What is Title VI?
Title VI of the 1964 Civil Rights Act and related statutes states that each Federal agency is required to ensure that no person is excluded from participation in, denied the benefit of, or subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or religion. The Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1987 clarified the intent of Title VI to include all program and activities of Federal-aid recipients, subrecipients and contractors whether those programs and activities are federally funded or not.
As the agency responsible for coordinating the transportation planning process, the L-DC MPO must make sure that all segments of the population have been included in the planning process. The impact of proposed transportation investments on underserved and under represented population groups must be part of the evaluation process.
Title VI Program Manual
The Title VI Program Manual outlines the responsibilities of the MPO to ensure compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and identifies the procedures to address complaints related to Title VI.
Title VI Program Manual (Approved by the MPO Policy Board on October 5, 2016)
Limited English Proficiency Plan
The Limited English Proficiency Plan serves as a guide to identify the extent of LEP individuals in the region and identify ways that the MPO can reduce and/or eliminate the barriers to LEP individuals within the transportation planning process. This plan outlines the MPOs process for addressing the mix of services that will be provided to engage LEP individuals.
Limited English Proficiency plan (Approved by the MPO Policy Board on October 5, 2016)
As part of the Title VI Program Manual, the L-DC MPO has established a Title VI complaint procedure, which outlines a process for local disposition of Title VI complaints. If you believe that the L-DC MPO’s federally funded programs have discriminated your civil rights on the basis of race, color, age, or national origin you may file a written complaint with the L-DC MPO’s Tile VI Coordinator by following the procedure outlined below:
- Submission of Complaint. File a written complaint within 180 calendar days after the date the discrimination occurred. (NOTE: A sample complaint form may be downloaded or is available in hard copy from the L-DC MPO. Upon request, assistance will be provided to any person(s) who are unable to read or write.)
- Referral to Review Officer. L-DC MPO’s Policy Board’s Chairperson will appoint one or more staff review officers to investigate the complaint. The staff review officer(s) will make a recommendation about the merit of the complaint and, if so, what will be done to address it. If L-DC MPO’s Policy Board’s Chairperson agrees with the finding, he or she will issue the MPO’s written response to the complainant.
- Request for Reconsideration. If the complainant disagrees with the L-DC MPO’s response, he or she may request reconsideration by submitting the request in writing to the L-DC MPO’s Policy Board’s Chairperson.
- Appeal. If the request for reconsideration is denied, the complainant may appeal the L-DC MPO’s Policy Board’s Chairperson’s response by submitting a written appeal to the L-DC MPO’s Policy Board.
- Submission of Complaint to the State of Kansas Department of Transportation. If the complainant is dissatisfied with the L-DC MPO’s resolution of the complaint, he or she may also submit a written complaint within 180 days after the alleged date of discrimination to the State of Kansas Department of Transportation for investigation.
Contact the L-DC MPO Title VI Coordinator
To receive additional information or to file a complaint, please contact the Title VI Coordinator for the L-DC MPO.
email@example.com – L-DC MPO Title VI Coordinator
Lawrence-Douglas County Metropolitan Planning Organization
6 E. 6th Street.
Lawrence, KS 66044
Contact the City of Lawrence Public Works Title VI Coordinator
To receive additional information or to file a complaint, please contact the Title VI Coordinator for the City of Lawrence Public Works Department.
Charles F. Soules
firstname.lastname@example.org – Lawrence Public Works Title VI Coordinator
City of Lawrence
PO Box 708, Lawrence, KS 66044-0708