Stormwater Management Master Plan
The Stormwater Management Master Plan was completed in 1996 by Burns and McDonnell, consulting engineers. This plan contains recommendations for storm sewer improvements, engineering standards, maintenance work and program funding.
Stormwater Pollution Prevention
Flooding has been a well-documented issue in Lawrence. Most people understand the relationship between impervious surfaces and increased runoff. It’s also important to understand that our stormwater runoff contains high levels of pollutants that threaten the environment. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued regulations in 1999 that require the City of Lawrence to comply with the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) stormwater program.
- 2019-2024 Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Permit (PDF)
- 2021-24 Stormwater Management Plan (PDF)
- 2014-19 Stormwater Management Plan (PDF)
- About the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System
The City of Lawrence Code was updated in 2001 to require landowners and citizens to use better practices to prevent pollution of streams, lakes, rivers and groundwater.
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention Ordinance (PDF)
- Help Prevent Stormwater Pollution (PDF)
- Pressure Washing and Surface Cleaning Best Practices (PDF)
- Stormwater Program Map
- North Lawrence Drainage Study, 2005 (PDF)
- City of Lawrence Watershed Map
- Flood Safety Tips (PDF)
- Kansas Stormwater Website
- Rain Barrel Instructions (PDF)
- How to Create a Rain Barrel Video
- Rain Garden Powerpoint Presentation
- Pet Waste Flyer (PDF)
Yard Waste and Fall Leaves
Streets are part of the City of Lawrence stormwater collection system. Leaves left along the curb are unable to be picked up by street sweepers and can enter storm drains, increasing the risk of localized flooding and adding pollutants to the receiving streams and rivers.
Four Easy Ways to Handle Your Leaves & Lawn Trimmings
- Mulch mowing
- Drop-off at the City of Lawrence Compost Facility
- Compost at home
- Weekly curbside yard waste collection