2019 – 31st Annual Outdoor Downtown Sculpture Exhibition (ODSE)
The Lawrence Cultural Arts Commission’s Outdoor Downtown Sculpture Exhibition has a proud tradition. The exhibition was founded by Jim Patti and is sponsored by the Lawrence Cultural Arts Commission, which receives financial and staff support from the City of Lawrence. Works are displayed in downtown Lawrence, along Massachusetts Street, at Theatre Lawrence, and in adjacent areas. Here’s a PDF version of the 2019 Brochure/Map. Print versions are available at the Library, Arts Center, Theatre Lawrence and venues on Massachusetts Street. In addition to being a popular annual exhibition for locals and visitors, artists gain hands-on experience developing and installing artworks in the public realm.
This year’s Juror, Dr. Rebecca Hackemann, selected nine artists for this year’s exhibition which will open with a sculpture walk, starting at 5:30 p.m. near 812 Massachusetts Street (east side) during the June 28 Final Friday:
- Jacob Burmood, Draped Form – 7th & Massachusetts, southwest corner
- Joelle Ford, Red – Theater Lawrence
- John Hachmeister, Morning: Steam Meets Wind – 6th & Massachusetts, southeast corner
- Joe Malesky, Angelica 2 – 8th & Massachusetts, mid-block on west side
- Elaina Michalski, Pearl – Lawrence Public Library – Artist’s Statement on homeless youth (PDF)
- Kenneth Peters, Birdhouse #8 – 8th & Massachusetts, northeast corner
- John Rasmussen, Sunflower – Carnegie Building, south side
- Myles Schachter, American – 8th & Massachusetts, southwest corner (shown)
- Will Vannerson, Ecstatic Crepitacean – 11th & New Hampshire
The 2019 exhibition will also be included in Otocast, a national smartphone app which allows people to conduct self-tours and learn more about the artists and their work.