Holiday Parking Downtown
There are over 1,170 free parking spaces in the downtown business district, as well as 442 $1 per day stalls in downtown parking garages.
A perfect opportunity to get your holiday shopping done, while also supporting local businesses. Unique and creative gift ideas that can only be found in downtown Lawrence.
All parking fines can now be paid online using a credit card.
Available Street Parking
- Downtown Lawrence has free and metered public spaces.
- 15-minute meters are available in every block on the east and west side of Massachusetts for quick errands. 15-minute meters are clearly marked for this use.
- Short-term parking is along Massachusetts Street.
- Long-term parking is available in parking lots along perimeter streets in Downtown Lawrence.
- Long-term parking spaces are intended for employees of downtown businesses and others with long-term parking needs.
- Downtown Parking Map
|5/10 Hour Meters||30 Minutes||60 Minutes||2.5 Hours|
|2 Hour Meters||6 Minutes||12 Minutes||30 Minutes|
|30 Minute Meters||6 Minutes||12 Minutes||30 Minutes|
|15 Minute Meters||3 Minutes||6 Minutes||15 Minutes|
To report a broken parking meter, please call (785) 832-7590 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You will need the following information: meter number (white or red numbers), street, block, left or right hand meter, name and a telephone number where you can be reached.
- The New Hampshire Parking Garage is located at 927 New Hampshire Street. The top level is 10-hour free parking. Level 2 is 10-hour pass or $1.00 per day. Level 1 (street level from the New Hampshire street entrance) is two-hour free parking. The basement (street level from the 9th Street entrance) is 10-hour pass or two-hour free parking. Pay stations are located at each stairwell on Level 1.
- The Vermont Parking Garage is located at 727 Vermont Street. The top level is 10-hour free parking. Level 3 is 10-hour pass or $1.00 per day. Levels 1 and 2 are two-hour free parking. Red signs indicate two-hour free parking. Blue signs indicate 10-hour pass or $1.00 per day. Pay stations are located at each stairwell on Level 1.
- The Riverfront Parking Garage is located at 6th and New Hampshire Street. The upper level white painted spaces are two-hour free parking (green painted spaces are reserved for the Marriott Hotel, and vehicles will be towed.) The ramp is two-hour free parking or 10-hour pass. Lower level is 10-hour pass or $1.00 per day. Pay stations are located at each end of the lower level.
- Passes for 10-hour lots, 10-hour meters, and downtown parking garages are $192 per calendar year.
- Pro-rated and $50 quarterly passes also are available.
- Parking passes may be purchased at the Utility Billing window at City Hall (First floor, 6 E. 6th Street) or at Municipal Court, 1 Riverfront Plaza, Suite 310.
- Meters, parking lots, and garages are monitored from 9:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday through Saturday.
- The Parking office, 935 New Hampshire Street, is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding city holidays.
- On holidays, parking meters do not need to be used.
- Violations are noted by a yellow envelope placed on the vehicle.
- Expired time violations are fined $5 if paid within 10 days.
- Parking fines increase to $20 after 10 days.
- If a vehicle is parked illegally downtown (at an expired meter or in a two-hour lot) and has received five or more overtime parking violations within the past 30 days, the owner will receive an enhanced fine of $75. This ordinance is designed to deter habitual violators of downtown parking regulations.
- Citations can be issued every two hours if there is no payment made and the vehicle remains beyond the time limit.
All parking fines can be paid in one of three ways:
- (credit card only)
- In person at 1 Riverfront Plaza, Suite 310 (cash, check, money order or credit card)
- Mailed to the below address (check only):
City of Lawrence Municipal Court
PO Box 1695
Lawrence, KS 66044
Citations of $5.00 can be paid online or with cash. Place cash payment in the yellow envelope and deposit it in the nearest yellow box along Massachusetts Street or in the public parking lots. View a map of .
Any citation over $15.00 will have a court date. On this date, you can challenge or appeal your citation.
Each Wednesday at 3 p.m., there is a parking docket. During this time, you can put your name on a list to have your citation reviewed by a city official.
- Accessible parking is available throughout Downtown Lawrence.
- Operators of vehicles displaying authorized placards/tags are not required to pay meters.
Contact UsParking Control Office
935 New Hampshire Street
Lawrence, KS 66044