Tell us how we’re doing
Your opinion counts and customer feedback helps us serve you better. Please tell us how we’re doing by completing this short Customer Satisfaction Survey.
Downtown Master Plan
Through the City’s strategic planning process, the City Commission identified a priority initiative of creating a Downtown Master Plan. The plan will explore, land use relationships, opportunities for development and redevelopment, programing of public space, landscaping, transportation, infrastructure and streetscape, with a heavy emphasis on cultural and historical resources and activities.
Online Building Permit and Plan Review calculators now available
Online building permit and plan review fee calculators have recently been added to the Planning & Development Services/Development Services building permit web pages. The fee calculators can be found on the residential or commercial building permit web pages.
New 1 & 2 Family Building Permit Guidance Documents for Homeowners
Development Services has recently developed a series of documents that provide code, permitting and inspection guidance to homeowner-occupants for their construction, addition and/or remodeling projects. View the new guidance documents at 1 & 2 Family Dwelling Building Permits.
New Sign Code adopted
On September 5, 2017, the Lawrence City Commission adopted a new Sign Code, which became effective on September 11, 2017. Minor amendments to the new Sign Code were adopted on March 6, 2018 (Ordinance No. 9439). The City of Lawrence Sign Code (Chapter 5-18 of the Lawrence City Code) establishes the goals and purpose for regulation of signs in Lawrence, and sets forth standards for permanent and temporary signs.
Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing
Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing means taking meaningful actions to address significant disparities in housing needs and access to opportunity, replacing segregated living patterns with truly integrated and balanced living patterns, transforming racially and ethnically concentrated areas of poverty into areas of opportunity, and fostering and maintaining compliance with civil rights and fair housing laws.
View the 2018 Assessment of Fair Housing and find more information on Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing.
City Policies Supporting Urban Ag
The City of Lawrence has approved a series of policies to support urban agriculture, expanding the ability of residents to produce local, healthy food at home and creating opportunities to pursue commercial production.
- East Lawrence Rezoning
- Horizon 2020 Update Process
- Oread Neighborhood Design Guidelines
- Planning Submittals
- Proposed County Zoning Regulations
- Continuous Improvement
- Draft Historic Resources Chapter to Horizon 2020 (PDF)
- Significant Changes to the Currently Adopted International Residential Code (PDF)
- Continuing Education Opportunities
- New Commercial & Multifamily Building Permit Plan Review Fees (PDF)
- Rental Licensing & Inspection Program
- 2016 CAPER – DRAFT (PDF)
- 2017 Action Plan (PDF)
- 2017 Investment Summary (PDF)
- Environmental Health Hazards links
- Basic Accessibility Regulations for Residential Occupancies (PDF)
- 1 & 2 Family Dwelling Building Permits
- Commercial and Multifamily Building Permits
- Limited English Proficiency Plan (PDF)
- Housing Assistance Programs
- Building Permit Interactive Map
- Residential Rental License Interactive Map
- Building Permit Reports
- Currently Adopted Construction Codes
- Building Code, Chapter 5 (PDF)
- Inspection Hotline
- Check Building Permits
- Licensed Contractor Search
- Report a Code Violation
- Building Permit, Plan Review, and Inspection Fee Schedule (PDF)
- Online Residential Permit Fee Estimator
- Online Commercial Permit Fee Estimator