Tell us how we’re doing
Your opinion counts and customer feedback helps us serve you better. Please tell us how we’re doing by completing this short Customer Satisfaction Survey.
Planning and Development Services
Offices: City Hall Riverfront, 1 Riverfront Plaza, Suite 320
Main phone number: 785-832-7700
Updated Building Codes Effective July 1, 2019
The City of Lawrence has adopted the 2018 International Code Council construction codes (2018 I-Codes) and 2017 National Electrical Code (NEC) effective July 1, 2019. In conjunction with adoption of the newest editions of building codes, regulations governing the administration of the building codes have been updated to add contractor license categories for roofing and swimming pool contractors, update contractor licensing regulations, and consolidate the Building Code Board of Appeals, Contractor Licensing Board, Electrical Code Board of Appeals, Fire Code Board of Appeals, Mechanical Code Board of Appeals and Plumbing Code board of Appeals into a single Appeals Board to be known as the Building Code Board of Appeals. For questions you may contact Barry Walthall, Building Codes Manager at 785-832-3101.
View approved ordinances
Roofing Contractor Licenses Required Effective July 1, 2019
Contractor license regulations have been updated to require that roofing contractors obtain contractor licenses to operate within the City of Lawrence beginning July 1, 2019. Roofing contractors must show appropriate credentials, proof of insurance, and proof compliance with the State of Kansas Roofing Registration Act to qualify for licensure. For questions you may contact Barry Walthall, Building Codes Manager at 785-832-3101.
View approved licensing ordinance (PDF)
View contractor license application (PDF)
Short-term Residential Rental Property
On October 2, 2018, the Lawrence City Commission adopted Ordinance No. 9560, which regulates the licensing and inspection of Short-term Residential Rental Property. The ordinance becomes effective on November 1, 2018. For questions, you may contact Brian Jimenez, Code Enforcement Manager at 785-832-3111 or at email@example.com or Jeff Crick , Planning Manager at 785-832-3163 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find out more about the registration, inspection requirements and general program information.
Downtown Master Plan
Through the City’s strategic planning process, the City Commission identified a priority initiative of creating a Downtown Master Plan. The plan will explore, land use relationships, opportunities for development and redevelopment, programing of public space, landscaping, transportation, infrastructure and streetscape, with a heavy emphasis on cultural and historical resources and activities.
City Policies Supporting Urban Ag
The City of Lawrence has approved a series of policies to support urban agriculture, expanding the ability of residents to produce local, healthy food at home and creating opportunities to pursue commercial production.
- East Lawrence Rezoning
- Horizon 2020 Update Process
- Oread Neighborhood Design Guidelines
- Planning Submittals
- Proposed County Zoning Regulations
- Continuous Improvement
- Draft Historic Resources Chapter to Horizon 2020 (PDF)
- Significant Changes to the Currently Adopted International Residential Code (PDF)
- Continuing Education Opportunities
- New Commercial & Multifamily Building Permit Plan Review Fees (PDF)
- Rental Licensing & Inspection Program
- DRAFT 2019 Action Plan
- 2017 CAPER – DRAFT (PDF)
- 2018-2022 Consolidated Plan
- 2018 Investment Summary (PDF)
- Environmental Health Hazards links
- Basic Accessibility Regulations for Residential Occupancies (PDF)
- 1 & 2 Family Dwelling Building Permits
- Commercial and Multifamily Building Permits
- Limited English Proficiency Plan (PDF)
- Language Identification Flashcard (PDF)
- Housing Assistance Programs
- Building Permit Interactive Map
- Residential Rental License Interactive Map
- Building Permit Reports
- Currently Adopted Construction Codes
- Building Code, Chapter 5 (PDF)
- Inspection Hotline
- Check Building Permits
- Licensed Contractor Search
- Report a Code Violation
- Building Permit, Plan Review, and Inspection Fee Schedule (PDF)
- Online Residential Permit Fee Estimator
- Online Commercial Permit Fee Estimator