Tell us how we’re doing
Your opinion counts and customer feedback helps us serve you better. Please tell us how we’re doing by completing this short Customer Satisfaction Survey.
Planning and Development Services has moved!
Starting February 25th our new address will be 1 Riverfront Plaza, Suite 320 and our main phone number will be 832-7700.
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING FOR THE CITY OF LAWRENCE 2019 ACTION PLAN OF THE 2018 – 2022 CONSOLIDATED PLAN
Members of the Community Development Advisory Committee will conduct a public hearing on the 2019 Annual Action Plan of the 2018-2022 Consolidated Plan, including the 2019 Investment Summary, on Thursday, April 25, 2019 at 6:00 P.M. in the City Commission Room, First Floor, City Hall, 6 East 6th Street.
During the public hearing, the Advisory Committee will seek input regarding the 2019 Annual Action Plan and 2019 Investment Summary. The Action Plan and Consolidated Plan is required by the Cranston-Gonzalez National Affordable Housing Act of 1990 and is the result of a collaborative process whereby a community establishes a unified vision for community development using federal, state, and local funds. It should be noted that at the time of this hearing, the City may not have been notified by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) of the final 2019 grant amounts. If this is the case, the City will work with estimated dollar amounts for the purposes of this hearing. A full explanation of the modification process when actual dollar amounts are ultimately awarded will be present in the Action Plan narrative.
The annual hearing is intended to provide the following:
1. An explanation and discussion of the City’s five year Consolidated Plan. The Consolidated Plan provides a unified vision for community development. More specifically, it examines the housing needs of special populations, the availability of affordable housing, the condition of housing in the City, and the housing market. Additionally, the Plan examines the needs for infrastructure, capital improvements, and neighborhood development in the community. The Plan is a five-year strategy and includes an Action Plan and the one-year Investment Summary.
2. An opportunity to make public comments concerning the Consolidated Plan and Investment Summary.
Copies of the draft Action Plan and/or Investment Summary will be available April 24, 2019 in the Development Services Office, 1 Riverfront Plaza, Suite 320, or by calling 785-832-3108. The plan will also be available on the department web site at lawrenceks.org/pds. The public comment period for the Plan will be thirty (30) days from the date of the public hearing, until May 25, 2019.
The City encourages written comments on this document. They may be mailed to City of Lawrence Community Development Division, P.O. Box 708, Lawrence, KS 66044, or brought to the Department, 1 Riverfront Plaza, Suite 320, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated Building Codes Under Review
Development Services staff have worked with the City’s construction code advisory Boards over the last year to review the 2018 International Code Council construction codes (2018 I-Codes) and 2017 National Electrical Code (NEC) for possible adoption by the City of Lawrence to replace earlier editions of the various I-Codes and NEC. In conjunction with review of the newest editions of building codes, staff and advisory boards are also working to update administrative regulations that govern the administration and enforcement of the building codes, add contractor license categories for roofing and swimming pool contractors, update contractor licensing regulations, and consolidate the Building Code Board of Appeals, Contractor Licensing Board, Electrical Code Board of Appeals, Fire Code Board of Appeals, Mechanical Code Board of Appeals and Plumbing Code Board of Appeals into a single Appeals Board to be known as the Building Code Board of Appeals. Draft ordinances are anticipated to be presented to the City Commission in February or March of 2019, with a proposed effective date of July 1, 2019. For questions you may contact Barry Walthall, Building Official at 785-832-3101 or email@example.com
View draft ordinances
Notice to Lawrence Licensed Contractors and Construction/Contractor Licensing Boards
Short-term Residential Rental Property
On October 2, 2018, the Lawrence City Commission adopted Ordinance No. 9560, which regulates the licensing and inspection of Short-term Residential Rental Property. The ordinance becomes effective on November 1, 2018. For questions, you may contact Brian Jimenez, Code Enforcement Manager at 785-832-3111 or at firstname.lastname@example.org or Jeff Crick , Planning Manager at 785-832-3163 or at email@example.com.
Find out more about the registration, inspection requirements and general program information.
Downtown Master Plan
Through the City’s strategic planning process, the City Commission identified a priority initiative of creating a Downtown Master Plan. The plan will explore, land use relationships, opportunities for development and redevelopment, programing of public space, landscaping, transportation, infrastructure and streetscape, with a heavy emphasis on cultural and historical resources and activities.
Online Building Permit and Plan Review fee calculators now available
Online building permit and plan review fee calculators have recently been added to the Planning & Development Services/Development Services building permit web pages. The fee calculators can be found on the residential or commercial building permit web pages.
New 1 & 2 Family Building Permit Guidance Documents for Homeowners
Development Services has recently developed a series of documents that provide code, permitting and inspection guidance to homeowner-occupants for their construction, addition and/or remodeling projects. View the new guidance documents at 1 & 2 Family Dwelling Building Permits.
New Sign Code adopted
On September 5, 2017, the Lawrence City Commission adopted a new Sign Code, which became effective on September 11, 2017. Minor amendments to the new Sign Code were adopted on March 6, 2018 (Ordinance No. 9439). The City of Lawrence Sign Code (Chapter 5-18 of the Lawrence City Code) establishes the goals and purpose for regulation of signs in Lawrence, and sets forth standards for permanent and temporary signs.
Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing
Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing means taking meaningful actions to address significant disparities in housing needs and access to opportunity, replacing segregated living patterns with truly integrated and balanced living patterns, transforming racially and ethnically concentrated areas of poverty into areas of opportunity, and fostering and maintaining compliance with civil rights and fair housing laws.
View the 2018 Assessment of Fair Housing and find more information on Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing.
City Policies Supporting Urban Ag
The City of Lawrence has approved a series of policies to support urban agriculture, expanding the ability of residents to produce local, healthy food at home and creating opportunities to pursue commercial production.
- East Lawrence Rezoning
- Horizon 2020 Update Process
- Oread Neighborhood Design Guidelines
- Planning Submittals
- Proposed County Zoning Regulations
- Continuous Improvement
- Draft Historic Resources Chapter to Horizon 2020 (PDF)
- Significant Changes to the Currently Adopted International Residential Code (PDF)
- Continuing Education Opportunities
- New Commercial & Multifamily Building Permit Plan Review Fees (PDF)
- Rental Licensing & Inspection Program
- 2017 CAPER – DRAFT (PDF)
- 2018-2022 Consolidated Plan
- 2018 Investment Summary (PDF)
- Environmental Health Hazards links
- Basic Accessibility Regulations for Residential Occupancies (PDF)
- 1 & 2 Family Dwelling Building Permits
- Commercial and Multifamily Building Permits
- Limited English Proficiency Plan (PDF)
- Language Identification Flashcard (PDF)
- Housing Assistance Programs
- Building Permit Interactive Map
- Residential Rental License Interactive Map
- Building Permit Reports
- Currently Adopted Construction Codes
- Building Code, Chapter 5 (PDF)
- Inspection Hotline
- Check Building Permits
- Licensed Contractor Search
- Report a Code Violation
- Building Permit, Plan Review, and Inspection Fee Schedule (PDF)
- Online Residential Permit Fee Estimator
- Online Commercial Permit Fee Estimator