The Building Safety Division enforces the City’s adopted building construction codes, trade construction codes (mechanical/HVAC, electrical, plumbing) and other related codes regarding the construction, expansion, remodeling, repair or demolition of buildings or portions of buildings, spaces within buildings, and/or other types of structures within the City. This includes:
- Review, approval and issuance of required building permits (building/structural, mechanical/HVAC, plumbing, electrical, fire suppression/fire alarm systems and building/structural demolition);
- Building and trade contractor licensing;
- Trade worker/installer licensing (mechanical/HVAC, plumbing and electrical work);
- Inspection of work at various phases of permitted construction to help ensure compliance with construction code and permit requirements.
The Building Safety Division also enforces the City’s Sign Code regulations through review and approval of sign permit applications and inspection of permitted signs.
Information about general building safety, current issues/topics in building codes and construction, adopted City building and trade codes, building permitting processes, building permit inspections and procedures, and contractor licensing are available on this web site. Permit applications, forms and code/design guidance documents are also included. An interactive building permit map and search queries for building permit records and licensed building/trade contractors can be found on this website, as can various monthly and annual building permit/building permit trends reports.
- The 2015 editions of the International Building, Residential and Trade Codes have been adopted and will become effective July 1, 2016: Adopted Codes and Amendments
- City of Lawrence contractor and trade licenses must be annually renewed by December 31st. To renew, the qualifying party for a contractor license must obtain at least 8 hours of related continuing education annually that meet the City’s criteria for approval; licensed tradespersons must obtain at least 6 hours of continuing trade education annually that meet the City’s criteria for approval. Click on the link below to find the current list of approved continuing education classes.
Resolve to Be Ready
Learn what protective measures to take before, during, and after an emergency at Ready.gov
Tale of Two Homes – Tornado
Watch this real life story on how safe rooms save lives.
Build a Safe, Strong Deck
Make sure your deck is safe by knowing the five warning signs of an unsafe deck and how to build and maintain a safe, strong deck.
General Building Safety & Construction Information:
- Fire Safety Tips
- Smoke Alarm Fact Sheet
- Building Inspector Safety Tips
- Disaster Safety Tips
- Residential Safe Room Fact Sheet
- High Wind Safe Rooms
- Prepare Your Home for High Winds
- Backyard and Pool Safety Tips
- Deck Safety Tips
- Dryer Safety Tips
- Cooking Safety Tips
- Green and Sustainable Building Tips
Search our database of contractors currently licensed by the City of Lawrence to provide building construction services.
View the interactive map of active building permits.