Search our database of contractors currently licensed by the City of Lawrence to provide building construction services.
The City of Lawrence, Kansas requires certain building and trade contractors (or contracting businesses) to obtain a license to perform work within the City limits, and to apply for and obtain required building and trade-related construction, remodeling and/or repair permits. In addition to contractor licensing, the City of Lawrence also requires that certain employees performing work for a licensed trade contractor (Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing and/or Fireplace) be certified as master level or journeyman level tradesperson.
The purpose of contractor and tradesperson licensing is to ensure that construction activities are performed by fully qualified and licensed contractors and tradespersons to meet the City’s adopted code standards. Contractor licensing also ensures contractors are appropriately insured and provide workers’ compensation for their employees. Should you have any comments or inquiries about contractor or tradesperson licensing, please contact our office at (785) 832-7700.
The City also requires that third-party energy conservation inspectors and companies, including Home Energy Rating System (HERS) raters and testing service providers for one- and two-family dwelling new construction, are registered and approved by the City to conduct these rating and testing services. Click here for the fillable “Third-Party Energy Conservation Specialist Request for Approval” form.
Guide for Building/Trade Contractors & Tradespersons (Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing & Fireplace)
This Guide provides an overview of experience, education, testing/certification and insurance requirements to obtain a contractor or tradesperson license in Lawrence.
Download entire guide » (PDF)
View individual handbook sections (all files PDF):
- Overview of Contractor & Tradesperson Licensing Requirements
- Contractor Licensing Requirements & Definitions (for building & trade contracting businesses)
- Contractor Licensing Requirements Table
- Tradesperson Licensing Requirements & Definitions
- Tradesperson Licensing Requirements Table
- Approved Contractor & Tradesperson License Exams
- Contractor Licensing Application
- Trades Licensing Application (for tradespersons taking a City-approved International Code Council (ICC) exam)
- Tradesperson Licensing/Exam Sponsorship Application (for tradespersons taking a City-sponsored Prometric exam)
- Jobsite Licensing Guidelines
- Third-Party Energy Conservation Specialist Request for Approval form
The Qualifying Party for a contractor license must obtain at least eight (8) hours of related continuing education annually, which meet the City’s criteria for approval; licensed tradespersons must obtain at least six (6) hours of continuing trade education annually, which meet the City’s criteria for approval.
Contractor Licensing Board
The function of the Contractor Licensing Board is to hear complaints regarding violations of the contractor licensing regulations. The board may take appropriate disciplinary actions