Find Out More
Informational sessions for landlords and/or property managers on how to complete a license application will be held on the first Wednesday each month from 1:00 – 3:00 in the Development Services Offices, 1 Riverfront Plaza, Suite 110.
While prior notice to Development Services of attendance will be appreciated, it is not required.
To check the zoning of a property, contact a Code Enforcement Officer at (785) 832-3345. You can reach us by FAX at (785) 832-3110.1 Riverfront Plaza, Suite 110 Lawrence, KS 66044
Effective January 1, 2015, all rental properties in Lawrence are required to maintain a valid rental license in compliance with City Ordinance 8840.
We previously offered an online payment form for the city's Rental Licensing Program; however, now that the city is transitioning to our new Rental Licensing and Inspection Program, the online payment feature has been removed since every rental now needs to complete a new application form with revised payment fees. You can still pay with a credit card after the new Rental License Application form has been submitted to our office. Contact us at (785) 832-3345 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
A property owner who does not reside in Lawrence must appoint a person to serve as an agent of the owner. The agent receives notices on behalf of the owner of any problems that should arise on the property.
Lawrence In Focus
Watch the Lawrence In Focus about the Rental Inspection & Licensing Program.
View individual files:
- Sample letter owners will receive to initiate the license process
- Rental License Application (Fillable PDF)
- Tri-fold brochure for landlords about the license process
- What to Expect at Your Inspection brochure for property owners
- Inspection Form for Rental Licensing
- Inspection Guide for Rental Licensing
- Consent Form for Tenants
- Frequently Asked Questions about our program
- Administrative Regulations
- Diagrams for Program Processes
- Notice for Tenants about the Rental Registration Program
- FAQ for tenants about our program
- Rental Licensing Ordinance (No. 8840)
- Rental Program Policies and Procedures
- Rental Program Appeal Form