Safe Winter Walkways is a partnership program that supports the City’s Strategic Plan Outcome of Strong, Welcoming Neighborhoods
To volunteer to help Lawrence residents who can’t physically shovel their sidewalks, fill out and submit this sign up form or call (785) 727-7875
Preparing snow routes for pedestrian traffic
The Safe Winter Walkways Program is an excellent resource for members of our community who are physically unable to keep their sidewalks clear during snow events. The goal is to create safer and more accessible pedestrian walkways, and it is a structured version of what already happens in many neighborhoods – neighbors helping neighbors.
Lawrence residents with a passion for helping others and who enjoy winter weather (and shoveling snow) are needed to volunteer for the Safe Winter Walkways Program. Volunteers are matched with residents needing assistance, and the program makes every effort to match volunteers with residents in their neighborhoods. All volunteers are asked to commit to the entire snow season and be willing to shovel after each winter weather event. Volunteers are not required to provide snow removal for private driveways, sidewalks or walkways, but they may choose to also clear those areas.
The Safe Winter Walkways is a program provided by the City of Lawrence and the Senior Resource Center for Douglas County.
»To volunteer to help Lawrence residents who can’t physically shovel their sidewalks, fill out and submit this sign up form or call (785) 727-7875
- November 19, 2021 is the deadline for registering for assistance with Safe Winter Walkways.
- Please direct questions to Larry Woydziak at the Senior Resource Center for Douglas County, (785) 727-7875.
We’re accepting volunteers! Help Lawrence residents who can’t physically shovel their sidewalks.
» Sign up form or call (785) 727-7875.
- Volunteers will be matched with Lawrence residents who are unable to shovel snow. We make every effort to match volunteers with residents in their neighborhoods.
- Volunteers are asked to commit to the snow season and shovel snow each snow fall.
- Maintaining Safe Winter Walkways is a step in keeping Lawrence a safe and desirable place to live.
- Snow removal is limited to public sidewalks and a walkway to the street from the front door. This does not include driveways, porches or other walkways. Volunteers may choose to clear these areas but it is not an expectation of the program.