The purpose of this policy is to establish regulations that are intended to help facilitate and enhance the exchange of information and ideas through the City’s Social Media.
- Any comment posted by a member of the public on an official City Social Media Page or Department Social Media Page is the opinion of the commentator only, and its publication on such Page shall not imply endorsement of or agreement by the City.
- All Social Media established by the City, including the City’s Social Media Page and those Pages utilized by individual City departments, is not intended to create a public forum. As such, each Page shall have, in a place visible to the public or accessible by link, a notice that comments containing any of the following forms of content shall not be allowed for posting and will be removed:
- Comments not related to the topic of discussion;
- Profane, obscene, uncivil, harassing, or inappropriate language or content;
- Sexual content;
- Solicitations of commerce;
- Promotion or encouragement of illegal activity;
- Information that may tend to compromise the safety or security of the public, public systems, the City, its employees, or public officials;
- Content that reflects negatively on the City, its employees, or public officials, unless such comment relates to a matter of public concern and is otherwise in compliance with the remaining provisions of this policy;
- Defamatory remarks, personal attacks, or threats against any individual person or group of people.
- Content that violates a legal ownership interest of any party;
- Any content in violation of or inconsistent with federal, state, or local laws and ordinances;
- Links to any outside websites that are inconsistent with this policy;
- Content that is repetitive or duplicative;
- The following notice shall be provided along with the comment policy above: The City reserves the right to remove content that is deemed in violation of this policy, applicable law, or the City’s employee handbook. Any participant on a City Social Media Page or Department Social Media Page that repeatedly violates the commenting guidelines as set forth in this policy may be permanently removed from the City’s social media page(s). The City of Lawrence reserves the right to temporarily or permanently suspend access to any Page at any time.