The collection and disposal of garbage became a municipal service in 1946, and the City continues to provide exclusive trash service for residential and commercial customers, as well as curbside single-stream recycling and yard waste collection for residential customers.
Additionally, cardboard and office paper recycling collection is offered to commercial customers. The Solid Waste Division operates recycling drop-off locations, a Household Hazardous Waste facility, as well as a Compost facility.
In 2015, a survey was administered to a random sample of 2,500 City of Lawrence households, with the purpose of assessing satisfaction with the quality of City services and to gather input about priorities of the community. The Solid Waste Division received a 93% satisfaction rating from the residents surveyed.
Solid Waste Customer Service
Mailing Address: PO Box 708, Lawrence, KS 66044
Address: City Hall (First Floor), 6 East 6th Street, Lawrence, KS 66044
The Solid Waste Division has received several local and state-wide awards. The division has proven to be a leader in solid waste management services throughout Kansas. Most importantly, the awards are a reflection of the hardworking men and women who provide exemplary, high-level service each day to our residential and commercial customers.
- 2015 Kansas APWA Chapter Excellence in Program Operations Award (PDF)
- 2014 Kansas SWANA Sunflower Chapter Outstanding Solid Waste Management Program Award (PDF)
- 2002 Bridging the Gap Environmental Excellence Award (PDF)
The City of Lawrence Solid Waste Division is a proud member of the following organizations.
- Kansas Organization of Recyclers
- Kansas Association for Conservation & Environmental Education
- National Recycling Coalition
- National Waste & Recycling Association
- North American Hazardous Materials Management Association
- Product Stewardship Institute
- Solid Waste Association of North America
- US Composting Council