The City of Lawrence operates a Compost Facility that is available to Lawrence residents to drop off yard waste and pick up compost and woodchips.
Location & Hours
Location: 1420 E. 11th Street, Lawrence, KS 66044
Hours: Saturdays, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., March through December 5
*The facility will not be open during severe weather events.
Compost Facility Guidelines
- A maximum of 15 customers will be allowed into the facility at any given time. Long wait times are expected.
- Customers must maintain six feet of social distance from other customers and staff. Signage will be in place to help maintain appropriate social distancing and staff will be on-site to direct customers inside the facility.
- Customers must bring their own tools (e.g., shovels, pitchforks) to load and unload.
- Personal motorized loading equipment (e.g., skid steer) is not allowed.
- Face masks are required inside the facility when paying, speaking with staff and when customers are outside of their vehicles.
- Customers should follow the CDC’s recommendations for Protecting Yourself & Others.
- Customers are encouraged to arrive early. Gates to the facility will close promptly at 3 p.m. Customers will not be allowed to enter the facility once the gates close.
- As a reminder, customers should not stop on the railroad tracks near the entrance while waiting to enter the facility.
- Prices for drop-off and compost/woodchips pick up are listed below. Cash only – please bring exact change. Absolutely no bills larger than $20 will be accepted.
Yard Waste Drop-Off
City of Lawrence residents are able to drop off yard waste at the Compost Facility during operating hours. Tree trunks and large limbs must not be longer than four feet, and no more than eight inches in diameter. All materials must be loose; no plastic bags or bundles/ties allowed.
Drop-offs start at $5 for small loads. Larger loads may cost more.
Materials Not Accepted
- Fill Dirt
- Food Waste
- Tree Root Balls
Compost & Woodchips Pick Up
The City offers compost and woodchips to Lawrence residents at the Compost Facility. Compost and woodchips are not intended for commercial applications.
Self-loaded compost and woodchips cost $10 per truckload. Small quantities of less than or equal to four five-gallon buckets are free.
2020 Compost & Woodchip City-Load Events
The City offers City-load days at the Compost Facility once a month during peak season to allow customers to have compost and/or mulch loaded into their trucks or trailers by City staff using loading equipment. All Compost Facility Guidelines are still in effect during City-load events.
September & October City-load dates will cost $10 per scoop from the City’s loading equipment for both compost and woodchips.
2020 City-Load Dates
What is Compost?
Compost consists of decayed organic matter and has been proven to be extremely successful as a natural soil amendment. Lawrence Community Compost is made from the yard trimmings and small woody debris collected curbside on Monday mornings, as well as grass clippings, leaves, and woody debris from some commercial lawn care providers.
What is Mulch?
Mulch is a material used to cover the soil. Most mulches are organic (woodchips, unfinished compost, straw) but inorganics such as lava rock or limestone can add an appealing, low maintenance touch. Good mulch conserves water by reducing moisture evaporation from the soil. The woodchips the City sells are made from tree materials brought in from residential and commercial sources. Note: Woodchips may contain Emerald Ash Borer. Transportation within counties quarantined for Emerald Ash Borer is okay. Do not transport woodchips outside of the listed quarantined counties: Atchison, Doniphan, Douglas, Jefferson, Johnson, Leavenworth, Shawnee, and Wyandotte.
Compost Analysis Report – March 2019
Previous Event Reports
- Spring 2019 Compost & Woodchip Sale Report
- Spring 2018 Compost & Woodchip Sale Report
- Fall 2017 Compost & Woodchip Sale Report
For more information, contact Municipal Services & Operations Solid Waste Customer Service at 785-832-3032 or firstname.lastname@example.org.