On Saturday, April 22, 2017, the City’s Solid Waste Division hosted the 17th Annual Earth Day Celebration. Events included a parade hosted by KU Environs, free yoga in the park provided by OmTree Shala, and South Park tree identification tours hosted by the Parks & Recreation Department. There were over 60 exhibitors and 5 local food vendors – including the Bike Valet sponsored by the Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department. The Lawrence Transit System offered free rides all day, providing the experience and benefits of public transportation on all fixed routes.
The purpose of the Earth Day Celebration is to gather community members to connect, discover, and celebrate local organizations and businesses who support a healthy, sustainable environment. At the same time, the Celebration engages event goers with fun activities and exhibitions.
To view photo albums of the 17th Annual Earth Day Parade & Celebration, click here!
For more 2017 event information, please read the 2017 Event Report.
PARADE FOR THE EARTH @ 11:00 AM
- The Parade for the Earth is hosted by KU Environs, and will go from Buford Watson Park to South Park along Massachusetts Street. Staging for the parade begins at 10:30 a.m.
- For more information, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CELEBRATION IN SOUTH PARK
- 11:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- South Park at 11th & Massachusetts Street
- The celebration in the park features live music, food, vendors and children’s activities. Attendees are invited to learn from exhibits about waste reduction, recycling, composting, energy conservation, land preservation, wildlife and habitat preservation, and more.
Activities & Entertainment
- Live Music from 12:30-4:30 PM @ the South Park Gazebo – Performers announced soon!
- Free Bike Valet with the Health Department
- South Park Tree I.D. Tours led by Lawrence Parks & Recreation at 12:30, 1:30, and 2:30
- Free Yoga in the park with OmTree Shala, 12:00-4:00 p.m. (every half hour classes)
- Face Painting!
- Jump for Kids – Bouncy House
- Monkey Bridge Project Maze!
- ReCycle Cycle
- Air Summer Snow – Snow Cones
- Boyer’s Artisan Meatballs
- Fine Thyme Food
- Repetition Coffee
- Torched Goodness
- Jayhawk Audubon Society
- Kansas Green Party & Lawrence Ecology Teams United in Sustainability (LET-US)
- Kansas Land Trust
- Kaw Permaculture Institute
- Kids of the United States
- KU Center for Sustainability
- KU Student Farm
- KU Student Housing Association-Sunflower Cooperative
- Lawrence Acupuncture: Integrative Health Clinic
- Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department – Bike Valet
- Lawrence-Douglas County MPO & Lawrence Unchained Bicycle Co-op
- Lawrence Farmers’ Market
- Lawrence Habitat for Humanity ReStore
- Lawrence School of Love
- Lawrence Transit System
- League of Women Voters
- Oread Friends Meeting
- Prairie Moon Waldorf School
- Sierra Club
- Soka Gakai International (SGI-USA)
- Sun Solar
- The Merc Co-op
- Trinity Environmental Stewardship Team – Trinity Episcopal Church
- University of Kansas Student Housing Association
- U.S. EPA – Region 7
- Black Jack Battlefield and Nature Park
- Boys Scouts of America – Pelathe District
- Breathe Easy at KU (B.E.A.K.)
- C. Michael Exteriors
- Cans for the Community
- Center for Biological Diversity
- Central Plains Center for BioAssessment
- Checkers Foods
- Citizens’ Climate Lobby
- City of Lawrence Parks & Recreation Department
- City of Lawrence Forestry Division & Kansas Forest Service
- City of Lawrence Solid Waste Division
- City of Lawrence Stormwater Division
- Coast Guard Auxiliary
- Community Village Lawrence
- Cromwell Solar
- Douglas County Child Abuse Prevention Task Force
- Douglas County Conservation District
- Douglas County Democratic Party
- Douglas County Extension – Master Gardeners
- Educate Lawrence
- Falun Gong
- First Presbyterian Church Eco-Team
- Friends of Hidden Valley Camp
- Friends of the Kaw
- Good Energy Solutions
- Grassland Heritage Foundation
PREVIOUS EVENT REPORTS
Questions? Call 832-3030 or email email@example.com.