Save the Date for April 20, 2019!
On Saturday, April 21, 2018, the City’s Solid Waste Division hosted the 18th Annual Earth Day Celebration. Events included a parade hosted by KU Environs, South Park tree identification tours hosted by the Parks & Recreation Department and live music at the Gazebo. There were 40 exhibitors and 5 local food vendors – including the Bike Valet sponsored by the Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department. The Lawrence Transit System offered free rides all day, providing the experience and benefits of public transportation on all fixed routes.
The purpose of the Earth Day Celebration is to gather community members to connect, discover, and celebrate local organizations and businesses who support a healthy, sustainable environment. At the same time, the Celebration engages event goers with fun activities and exhibitions.
To view photo albums of the 18th Annual Earth Day Parade & Celebration, click here!
For more 2018 event information, please read the 2018 Event Report.
PARADE FOR THE EARTH @ 11:00 AM
- The Parade for the Earth is hosted by KU Environs, and will go from 8th Street to South Park along Massachusetts Street. Staging for the parade begins at 10:30 a.m.
CELEBRATION IN SOUTH PARK – Click event map below to enlarge.
- 11:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- South Park at 11th & Massachusetts Street
- The celebration in the park features live music, food, vendors and children’s activities. Attendees are invited to learn from exhibits about waste reduction, recycling, composting, energy conservation, land preservation, wildlife and habitat preservation, and more.
The Lawrence Transit System will offer free rides on the T all day Saturday, April 21, providing the experience and benefits of public transportation on all fixed routes. To get help planning a route or for more information, call (785) 864-4644 or visit www.lawrencetransit.org to view schedules.
Activities & Entertainment
- Live Music from 12:30-4:30 PM @ the South Park Gazebo
- Barry “Washboard” Barnes, percussion & spoken word
- Jeremy McClain, solo accordion
- Women’s Persistence Choir
- KT/DG, flutey pop
- Sugarfoot Detour, folk rock
- Free Bike Valet with the Health Department
- South Park Tree I.D. Tours led by Lawrence Parks & Recreation at 12:30, 1:30, and 2:30
- ReCycle Cycle
- Air Summer Snow – Snow Cones
- Boyer’s Artisan Meatballs
- Fine Thyme Food
- Moonfluf Cotton Candy & Luckyberry Juice
- Repetition Coffee
- Jayhawk Audubon Society
- Kansas City Animal Save
- Kansas Water Office
- Kids of the United States
- KU Sustainability + Transit
- KU Natural History Museum-Mobile Museum
- KU Environs
- KU Student Farm
- Lawrence Transit System
- League of Women Voters
- Monarch Watch
- Natural Grocers
- Oread Friends Meeting
- Soka Gakai International (SGI-USA)
- Steve Mason Luthiers – Recycle & Restring Event
- Sustainability Action Network/Lawrence Coalition for Peace & Justice/Kansas Green Party
- Advantage Metals
- Animal Outreach of Kansas
- Black Jack Battlefield and Nature Park
- Boys Scouts of America – Pelathe District
- C. Michael Exteriors
- Central Plains Center for BioAssessment
- City of Lawrence Horticulture & Forestry Division & Kansas Forest Service
- City of Lawrence Solid Waste Division
- City of Lawrence Utilities Department
- Clean Air Now
- Coast Guard Auxiliary
- Community Village Lawrence
- Cromwell Solar
- Douglas County Conservation District
- Douglas County Democratic Party
- Douglas County Extension – Master Gardeners
- Falun Gong
- Friends of Hidden Valley
- Friends of the Kaw
- Free State High Environmental Club
- Good Energy Solutions
- Grassland Heritage Foundation
PREVIOUS EVENT REPORTS