Recycling & Reuse

Hazardous Waste & Electronics

Yard Waste & Composting

Trash Collection

Outreach & Education

Where can I take old clothing, household furniture and building materials for reuse or recycling?

Lawrence has several thrift and re-sale stores providing reuse opportunities for many items. Planet Aid also accepts bagged, dry clothing and shoes in yellow containers located throughout Lawrence. Several online ‘swapmeets’ are available to area residents as well. Visit our Reuse Opportunities page for more information.

Is curbside recycling service available in Lawrence?

Yes. In October 2014, the City’s Solid Waste Division began providing a single-stream recycling collection service for single-family and multi-family customers.

What is single-stream curbside recycling?

Single-stream curbside recycling means all permitted recyclable materials may be combined at your home and set out for collection in a co-mingled recycling container. For more information, visit the Single-Stream Curbside Recycling FAQ page.

Where in Lawrence can I drop off materials for recycling?

Lawrence has several privately owned drop-off centers offering residents and businesses recycling options for many different types of materials. Click here for locations and a list of items accepted.  In addition, there are municipal recycling drop-off bins throughout town for cardboard, glass, newspaper and mixed paper. Click here to find the location nearest you.

Does the City provide any recycling services for businesses?

Yes. The City of Lawrence Solid Waste Division provides both corrugated cardboard and office paper recycling programs. There is no additional charge for the recycling containers or this service. Click here for more information.

Is there a directory of local recycling and reuse opportunities?

Yes. You can search our Recyclable Materials Directory to find local recycling and reuse opportunities.

How can I be reminded of my trash, recycling, and yard waste collection days?

Search the online service calendar and sign up to receive notifications for your waste collection days via text, e-mail, phone call or mobile app — sign up for Solid Waste Service Reminders!

Where can I recycle electronics such as computers and televisions?

Local drop-off and manufacturer take back options are available. Visit our Electronics Recycling page to learn more.

Where can I dispose of or recycle small appliances, like toasters and microwaves?

Small appliances can be disposed of legally in your household trash, but can be recycled also. Visit our Electronics Recycling Event page for more information or call the Waste Reduction and Recycling office at (785) 832-3030.

Where can I recycle burned out fluorescent, HID, neon or other mercury containing lamps?

Any lamp or bulb labeled “Hg” contains mercury vapor. Recycling mercury containing lamps prevents the release of mercury into the environment and allows for the reuse of glass, metals and other materials that make up these lights. Visit our Recyclable Materials Directory pages for information on recycling options for both households and businesses. Compact Fluorescent Lamps and Fluorescent Lights.

What should I do if I break a fluorescent light bulb in my home?

Fluorescent light bulbs contain a very small amount of mercury sealed within the glass tubing. Click here for the latest EPA clean up and disposal recommendations for fluorescent bulbs.

How can I dispose of excess or expired medications and pharmaceuticals?

Research has found medications and their byproducts in ground and surface waters, suggesting that disposal of unused or outdated medicine down the toilet is not a completely effective way of preventing contamination. For a few options on proper disposal, click here (PDF, 76K).

How can I dispose of used motor oil, leftover paint, cleaners, solvents, pesticides, batteries and other household hazardous waste?

Household hazardous waste represents a wide variety of wastes which are produced as a result of normal household activities. Each of these products may pose a threat to sanitation workers or public health and the environment when improperly handled or disposed.

There are several drop-off recycling locations in Lawrence for motor oil, antifreeze and lead acid batteries. Click here for a list of these locations.

The City of Lawrence/Douglas County Household Hazardous Waste Facility accepts a wide variety of hazardous materials from Douglas County households for proper disposal. To find out more, click here.

As a small business, what are my options for hazardous waste disposal?

The City of Lawrence/Douglas County Business Hazardous Waste program can provide hazardous waste disposal for qualifying small businesses in Douglas County. For more information, click here.

Where can I obtain free paint and household cleaners?

The City of Lawrence/Douglas County Household Hazardous Waste Facility distributes paint, cleaners and other items that are in good, usable condition to the public free of charge. Visit our Product Reuse Program for more information.

Where can I find information on backyard composting?

The City of Lawrence has a wealth of information on backyard composting. Visit our Backyard Composting page for detailed information on how you can get started.

How can I compost my food scraps using worms?

The process of using worms and microorganisms to convert organic waste into black, earthy-smelling, nutrient-rich humus is known as vermicomposting. The worms work by feeding on the rotten organic waste added to the worm bin and the resulting vermicompost is actually a mix of worm castings and other organic materials. For more information, visit our Worm Composting page.

Does the City pick up yard trimmings (grass, leaves and small woody debris) from my curb?

The City picks up yard waste which includes grass, leaves and small woody debris same day as trash service, year-round from households (winter weather permitting). Material must be set out at the curb by 6:00 a.m. in City yard waste carts (NO recycling or trash carts) and compostable yard waste paper bags. Bundles of tree and brush trimmings are also accepted. Each bundle must not exceed 5 feet in length nor 18 inches in diameter and must not weigh more than 65 pounds. Bundles must be tied with string or twine (please no wire, duct tape, etc.). Yard waste set out in plastic bags or personal cans will not be picked up. Please place material in proper containers. For more information, click here.

What can I do with brush and trimmed tree limbs?

Set it out in City yard waste cart, compostable paper bags or bundles by 6:00 a.m. for curbside collection on Mondays, March through mid-December. Woody debris can also be dropped off on Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., from March through mid-December at the City’s Wood Recovery and Composting Facility, 1420 E. 11th Street. Cost is $5 per truckload.

How can I recycle my Christmas tree?

A. After the Christmas holiday, the Solid Waste Division picks up live-cut trees for reuse as wildlife habitat. Please remove all artificial items including tinsel, lights, and tree stand. Have your tree set out at the curb by 6a.m. for pickup. Visit our Christmas Tree-Cycling page for more information including exact dates or call the Solid Waste office at (785) 832-3032.

Does the City distribute the compost it makes from yard trimmings?

A. Yes, compost and woodchips are available on Saturdays self-load only 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. from March through mid-December (fees may apply). The City also hosts a Spring and Fall Compost & Woodchip Sale in which scoops of the finished compost and woodchips are loaded by tractor and sold to residents for use on their home lawns and gardens. For specific details, click here.

When is residential trash picked up if there is a holiday?

A. The solid waste service schedule will fluctuate depending on which day the holiday falls on. Visit our Service Calendar & Reminders page for more information or call the Solid Waste office at (785) 832-3032.

What time should I have my trash set out, where do I set it and what happens if my trash is missed?

A. The City of Lawrence begins residential collection service at 6:00 a.m. Please have all refuse out by this time on your day of service. The location of your set out is dependent on your address. Search our Service Calendar & Map to see when your collection day is. Visit the Residential Trash Collection page for more information.

What do I do with large or bulky trash items, like a couch or refrigerator?

A. Fill out the Residential Special Item Pickup Service online form to schedule curbside pickup for large or bulky items, such as refrigerators, washers, dryers, hide-a-beds, etc. Visit our Solid Waste Bulky Item page for more information.

What items are prohibited from your household trash?

A. Call the Solid Waste Division at (785) 832-3032 for all questions regarding prohibited items or visit the Residential Trash Collection page for more information.

How do I dispose of construction waste?

A. There are different regulations on disposal of construction debris based on amount, frequency and residential/commercial location. Call the Solid Waste Division at (785) 832-3032 for all questions regarding construction waste, such as lumber, rock, sheetrock, etc. Visit the Roll-Off Services page for more information.

What landfill does the city use for trash?

A. The Solid Waste Division takes all trash to the Hamm Sanitary Landfill, located north of Lawrence. For additional questions regarding the landfill or dump, call Hamm directly at 785-597-5111.

Does the City’s Solid Waste Division offer educational opportunities for youth and adults?

A. Yes, the Solid Waste Division offers outreach and education opportunities for youth and adults in the community. We can offer facility tours and class presentations, to name a few. Check out our Outreach and KIDS Only webpages to learn more.