If your business generates small amounts of hazardous waste, you may have difficulties finding safe, affordable disposal methods. The City of Lawrence Waste Reduction and Recycling Division is now able to accept business waste such as paint, motor oil, solvents and corrosives through the Business Hazardous Waste Program. These should not be poured down the drain or put in the trash. In fact, by law, the State of Kansas requires that they be disposed in an environmentally sound manner.
The Business Hazardous Waste Program is a fee-based, voluntary program that provides both hazardous waste collection systems for Conditionally Exempt and Kansas Small Quantity Generator businesses, as well as waste reduction and pollution prevention technical assistance to businesses in Douglas County.
How to Qualify
You are a Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator business in Kansas if you meet all of the following conditions:
- Generate less than 55 lbs. of hazardous waste or less than 2.2 lbs. of acutely hazardous waste, in any single calendar month.
- Accumulate at any time less than 2,200 lbs. of hazardous waste or less than 2.2 lbs. of acutely hazardous waste.
- Accumulate at any time less than 55 lbs. of any residue or contaminated soil, water, or debris resulting from the clean up of a spill of acutely hazardous waste.
You are a Kansas Small Quantity Generator business if you meet all of the following conditions:
- Generate more than 55 lbs. and less than 220 lbs. of hazardous waste in any single calendar month.
- Generate less than 2.2 lbs. of acutely hazardous waste in any single calendar month.
- Accumulate at any time less than 2,200 lbs. of hazardous waste, or less than 2.2 lbs. of acutely hazardous waste.
- Accumulate at any time less than 220 lbs. of any residue or contaminated soil, water, or other debris resulting from the clean-up of a spill of acutely hazardous waste.
Any facility generating larger or more acutely toxic quantities of hazardous wastes needs to register with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.
- Call us at (785) 832-3030. The City of Lawrence Waste Reduction and Recycling Division will provide a phone consultation and set up an onsite visit to your facility
- Waste Inventory. We must visit the site to complete an inventory of the waste before it can be accepted at our facility. Only pre-approved wastes may be disposed.
- Disposal Costs Assessed. Fees are set on a per pound basis or by volume of materials, depending on the type of waste. Disposal costs are the same as those assessed by the City’s contractor, plus a 15% handling and administrative fee.
- Schedule a Drop-off. Once your waste has been inventoried and approved by the Waste Reduction and Recycling Division, and you have completed and returned the Certification Form that ensures you are a Small Quantity Generator, an appointment may be scheduled at our facility to accept your wastes.
Who are the qualifying businesses?
Possible qualifying Business Hazardous Waste Program facilities may include but are not limited to:
- Metal manufacturing/etching
- Printing and graphic arts
- Paint contracting
- Pesticide users & application services
- Forclosure Clean Out Businesses
- Apartment rental managers
- Auto repair, maintenance and supply
- Building cleaning and maintenance
- Dental and medical offices
- Educational/vocational shops
- Equipment repair
- Furniture manufacturing & refinishing