Household Hazardous Waste represents a wide variety of wastes that are produced as a result of normal household activities. Among the most common of these are pesticides, paints, solvents, automotive fluids, batteries, chemicals and cleaners.
Each of these products may pose a threat to sanitation workers or public health and the environment when improperly handled or disposed of.
Lawrence/Douglas County Household Hazardous Waste Facility
The City of Lawrence/Douglas County Household Hazardous Waste Facility accepts hazardous waste from Douglas County households throughout the year for free. The Household Hazardous Waste Facility operates on a by-appointment-only basis for Douglas County residents.
The facility also houses a Product Reuse Store, which allows Douglas County residents to pick up recycled products that are in good, usable condition on a by-appointment-only basis.
Douglas County residents can sign up for appointments for drop-off and the Product Reuse Store by clicking the corresponding button below. Prior to signing up for an appointment, customers must read and understand the Household Hazardous Waste Guidelines and Accepted/Not Accepted Materials listed below.
Materials accepted at the HHW Facility include unwanted paint (empty/dry paint cans can be disposed of in trash carts), pesticides, cleaners, old mercury thermometers, batteries and light bulbs (non-mercury light bulbs can be disposed of in trash carts).
Qualifying Douglas County businesses may use the City of Lawrence/Douglas County Household Hazardous Waste Facility for disposal on an appointment-only basis. There is a fee for this service based on the materials and disposal amounts. For more information or to schedule a business appointment call 785-832-3036.
Location & Hours
Location: 2201 Kresge Road, Lawrence, KS 66049
Tuesdays, 8:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Wednesday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Last Saturday of the month (July 25, Aug. 29, Sept. 26), 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
For emergency/move-out accommodations please call 785-832-3036 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
*Facility is closed on City-observed holidays.
HHW Facility Drop-Off Guidelines
- There is a household drop-off weight limit of 75-pounds per day at the discretion of the HHW staff.
- Waste should be packaged for transport in a responsible manner. Keep containers upright with lids tight to minimize spills and maximize safety. Cardboard boxes work well for this.
- Make sure all hazardous products are labeled.
- A staff member will check customers in for their appointment and give instructions on how to unload products.
- Empty containers and dry latex paint can go in regular trash carts. Remove lids so crews can verify the cans are empty or dry.
- Residents utilizing the Household Hazardous Waste Facility are required to wear a face covering, maintain six feet of social distance from staff and other customers, and follow the CDC’s recommendations for Protecting Yourself & Others.
- Appointments are in 10-minute time slots. Late arrivals may be subject to cancellation and rescheduling.
- All waste must be generated by residential use and none by activities attached to a commercial or business interest.
- Customers must live in Douglas County to use the facility.
HHW Facility Accepted Materials
Materials Not Accepted at HHW Facility
- Unknown Materials (No Labels)
- Ammunition – Contact your local Law Enforcement Agency
- Computers, TVs, and Other Electronics
- DEA Controlled Substances
- Explosives/Fireworks (PDF)
- Infectious Wastes (Medical)
- Radioactive Wastes (Smoke Alarms)
- For smoke alarms, please contact the manufacturer.
Don’t know where to dispose of the items listed above? Call the Solid Waste Division at 785-832-3032 for information on how to dispose of these items.
HHW Facility Reuse Program
Douglas County households can also pick up recycled materials free of charge that are brought to the Household Hazardous Waste facility in good, usable condition. Products are available with the understanding that the products:
- Will be used in accordance with the manufacturers’ instructions
- Will be disposed of properly
- Will not be used for resale or commercial use
- Will be the sole responsibility of the recipient to substantiate the quality, expiration date and fitness for use
The purpose of the Product Reuse Program is to use up products as intended in order to promote the reduction of household hazardous waste entering the local landfills and to reduce the disposal fees of hazardous waste. Residents must sign up for an appointment to visit the product reuse store.
Business Hazardous Waste
Call the Kansas Department of Health and Environment offices at 785-842-4600 or 785-296-1600 for questions regarding hazardous waste generator status. Ask for a copy of Hazardous Waste Generator Handbook, A Guide to Complying with Kansas Hazardous Waste Generator Regulations.
As noted above, qualifying Douglas County businesses may use the City of Lawrence/Douglas County Household Hazardous Waste Facility for disposal on an appointment-only basis. There is a fee for this service based on the materials and disposal amounts. For more information or to schedule a business appointment call 785-832-3036.