The City of Lawrence/Douglas County Household Hazardous Waste Facility is accepting hazardous waste from Douglas County households throughout the year. Materials accepted include unwanted paint, pesticides, cleaners, old mercury thermometers, and batteries. There is no fee to Douglas County households.
How the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Program Works:
- Hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, 8:00 am – 1:00 pm; closed on holidays. Douglas County residents can drop-off anytime during these hours.
- Open limited Saturdays by appointment only. Call 832-3032 to schedule an appointment.
- Summer Hours (March – October): Tuesday through Friday, 8:00 am – 1:00 pm.
- Closed on City observed holidays.
- Location: 2201 Kresge Road, Lawrence, KS 66049.
- Package your waste for transport in a responsible manner. Keep containers upright with lids tight to minimize spills and maximize safety. Cardboard boxes work well for this.
- Make sure all your hazardous products are labeled.
- A Hazardous Waste Technician will meet you at the HHW facility and unload the hazardous waste from your vehicle.
- Empty containers and dry latex paint can go in your regular trash, remove the lids so crews can verify the containers are empty or dry.
- What is Household Hazardous Waste?
- Materials Accepted at the Facility
- Materials Not Accepted at the Facility
- Business Hazardous Waste Program
What are the proper steps to disposing of expired or unused pharmaceuticals?
Research has found medications and their byproducts in ground and surface waters, suggesting that disposal of old or unused medications down the toilet is not a completely effective way of preventing contamination. Click here (PDF) to review the steps to the proper disposal of pharmaceuticals.
Printer Friendly Household Hazardous Waste Guide