The City of Lawrence/Douglas County Household Hazardous Waste Facility is accepting hazardous waste from Douglas County households throughout the year by APPOINTMENT ONLY. Call the Waste Reduction & Recycling Office at (785) 832-3030 to schedule a drop-off appointment for any unwanted paint, pesticides, cleaners, old mercury thermometers, and batteries. There is no fee to Douglas County households.
How the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Program Works:
- Call (785) 832-3030 to schedule a drop-off appointment.
- Drive to the HHW facility (directions provided by staff). Make sure all your hazardous products are labeled.
- A Hazardous Waste Technician will meet you at the HHW facility and unload the hazardous waste from your vehicle.
For your safety and ours, all hazardous waste drop-offs are by appointment only!
- What is Household Hazardous Waste?
- Materials Accepted at the Facility
- Materials Not Accepted at the Facility
What are the proper steps to disposing of expired or unused pharmaceuticals?
Research has found medications and their byproducts in ground and surface waters, suggesting that disposal of old or unused medications down the toilet is not a completely effective way of preventing contamination. Click here (PDF) to review the steps to the proper disposal of pharmaceuticals.
Printer Friendly Household Hazardous Waste Guide