Residential Trash Collection
The City of Lawrence begins residential collection service at 6 a.m. Please have all trash out by this time on your day of service. Trash is picked up once a week and should be placed within city-issued trash carts.
- Residential Trash Guidelines (PDF)
- Solid Waste Services Guide (PDF)
- Online Service Calendar
- Collection days may change due to Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day holidays. There are no changes for all other holidays.
- Residential Collection Schedule (PDF)
- Residential Trash Cart Change Request Form
- Residential Trash Cart Information and FAQs
- Special Item Pick-Up Form
- Bulky Items, Carpet, Tires, Construction Remodeling, Building Materials
- Moving Information & Tips
Household sharps such as needles should be packaged in a puncture-proof container (detergent bottle, coffee can, etc.) with a secure taped lid for trash pick-up. Please label the container “Sharps”. View the FDA’s Do’s and Don’ts for safe disposal of needles (PDF) for more information.
Sawdust, cat litter, sweeping compounds, shredded paper, facial tissues, packaging materials, etc., all blow in the breeze when containers are emptied by the collectors. Please bag these items before putting them out for collection.
Please ensure that fireplace ashes are thoroughly cooled before bagging them for collection. It will take several days for a container of hot ashes to cool naturally.
Improper disposal of hazardous materials can cause pollution and endanger the health and safety of our Solid Waste employees. View more information on the Household Hazardous Waste facility.
Other Residential Collection Services
Commercial Trash Collection
Commercial services are provided through a variety of service types, depending on the character and volume of the trash. Rear-load dumpster service is provided for smaller volume generators and in areas where access is restricted. Higher volume generators are served by either front-load or roll-off services. Front-load container sizes range from four to ten cubic yards. Front-load service is provided up to six times per week. Roll-off services are suitable for large quantity generators, compacted wastes, and construction materials.