Curbside Collection of Yard Waste
The City of Lawrence offers a year-round (as winter weather permits) weekly collection of yard waste on the same day as the customer’s trash day.
- Yard waste should be set out by 6 a.m. on designated collection day (same day as trash collection). Yard waste is collected separately from trash and taken to the City’s Compost Facility.
- Yard waste must be set out in approved containers. Approved containers include compostable paper yard waste bags and 95-gallon brown yard waste carts sold by the City. Yard waste should not be placed in plastic bags or any other can/cart than the brown yard waste cart sold by the City.
- Bundles of brush are also accepted. Must not exceed five feet in length and 18 inches in diameter, and must not weigh more than 65 pounds. Bundles must be tied with string or twine (no wire, duct tape, etc.).
- Yard, shrub and tree trimmings must not extend more than 12 inches above the top of the container.
- Trash should not be placed in brown paper bags or brown yard waste carts.
- Do not place sod, soil/dirt, landscaping rock or treated lumber (including fence posts, landscaping timbers, wood pallets, etc.) in brown paper bags or brown yard waste carts.
Compost Facility Saturdays
Customers can drop off yard waste at the City of Lawrence Compost Facility, located at 1420 E. 11th Street, on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., March through mid-December. The compost facility also offers compost and woodchips for customers. For more information on the Compost Facility, including accepted and non-accepted materials and guidelines for using the facility, visit the City of Lawrence Compost Facility webpage.
- 95-Gallon Yard Waste Cart Purchase Request Form
- Backyard Composting Information (PDF)
- Mulch Mowing Information (PDF)
- Christmas Tree-Cycling
- Worm Composting (Vermicomposting) (PDF)
- Lawn Fertilizing in Douglas County Information (PDF)
- Birds and Pesticides Information (PDF)
- Non-Toxic Pest Management Information (PDF)