Yard waste can be turned into very valuable resources to be used again by home owners and businesses; compost and mulch! Lawrence residents have access to different programs offered to them through the City; Monday yard waste pick up, Saturday brush drop off and the compost and mulch sales held each spring and fall. Listed below are tips on reducing waste in your yard as well as in your garden.
- Leave grass clippings on the lawn, a technique called grasscycling. Click here for more information.
- Make compost out of your grass clippings. Mix them together with other yard trimmings, leaves, vegetable & fruit scraps, coffee grounds, tea bags, stale bread, eggshells or shredded paper. Click here for additional tips on backyard composting.
- Plant seed starts for your garden in the base of 2-liter soda bottles, aluminum cans or egg cartons.
- Purchase or build a rain barrel to catch runoff water from your roof to use on your garden. Click here for information on rain barrels.
- Old gallon milk jugs can be used as pots for plants or as bird feeders.
- Visit the City of Lawrence’s spring and fall compost and wood chip sales. Click here for more information on these events.