LAWRENCE UTILITY BILLING 101
The Basics of Service
Welcome to Lawrence! Your City of Lawrence Utility Bill includes charges for water, sewer, solid waste and storm water services. The following is a brief explanation of your Lawrence Utility Bill and our policies.
Who to Contact
|Water Emergency (after hours/weekend only)||832-7800|
|Non-bill related questions/problems|
Monthly charge is based on actual usage and meter size.
Monthly charge is based on water usage. After one year of continual service at a location, the charge is based on the average winter water usage (to ex-clude summer lawn watering).
Monthly charge is based on the area of land covered by a building and/or paved area.
Solid Waste (trash pickup)
The residential monthly solid waste fee pays for trash and yard waste collection, household hazardous waste disposal service, drop-off recycling locations and other solid waste services. The fee varies depending on the trash cart size (95, 65, or 35-gallon) each household selects. The com-mercial monthly solid waste fee pays for trash collection and recycling services for corrugated cardboard and office paper.
Visit the Solid Waste Division for the following:
- Collection guidelines for residential trash collection
- Collection guidelines for residential yard waste collected
- Household Hazardous Waste Program information for Douglas County households
- Recycling drop-off locations
Paying your bill
- Auto bill (deduction from checking account on due date)
- By mail (plan ahead, allow 3-5 business days for processing)
- Credit card (By phone 1-877-506-3115 or through our Online Payment System). VISA, Discover and MasterCard accepted. A service charge is assessed.
- Drop boxes located at Dillon’s (excluding the location on Massachusetts St.), Hy-Vee (Clinton Pkwy), Checkers grocery stores and Down-town (between City Hall and the Riverfront Plaza). Allow 3-5 business days for processing.
If you pay late…
- A 2% late charge applies after the due date
- Renters are charged an additional deposit, equal to twice their average monthly bill, if the bill becomes delinquent
- Water service is subject to discontinuation 20 days after the bill is due
- Restoring service involves paying all past due bills, reconnection fees, and unpaid deposits
- Checks or drafts returned for any reason are subject to late penalties plus an additional fee
- A trip charge is applied to your account if a collection related trip is made to your residence/business
If you move
Please notify us in advance of move date at lawrenceks.org/utility_billing by phone Monday thru Friday, 8am-5pm at 832-7878, by mail at PO Box 708, Lawrence, KS 66044-0708, or by fax at 832-3231.