Auto Bill Pay
The City is pleased to offer its utility customers the Auto Bill Pay Program. You have two options for Auto Bill Pay – sign up online or sign up through a paper application.
Auto Bill Pay – Online
You can register for an account through our payment center online at https://ipn.paymentus.com/cp/clks. Through an online account you can set up and manage Auto Bill Pay. You have the option to pay with a Visa, Discover, MasterCard, or eCheck.
**If you choose to set up online Auto Bill Pay and already have Auto Bill Pay set up through the paper application process please contact the office at (785) 832-7878 to cancel your old Auto Bill Pay to prevent your payment being drafted twice.
Auto Bill Pay – Paper Application
Your Lawrence Utility Bill will be paid via a direct withdrawal from your specified bank account on the due date. You will still receive your monthly bill as usual, allowing approximately two weeks to review the bill before the payment is made. To sign up for Auto Bill Pay, mail the Auto Bill Pay Application (PDF, 12 KB), along with a canceled check to Lawrence Utility Billing, P.O. Box 708, Lawrence, KS 66044. If a customer wishes to cancel their Auto Bill Pay service, they must provide a written request (PDF, 111 KB) to the Utility Billing Division.
You can pay your Lawrence Utility Bill online with a Visa, Discover, MasterCard, or eCheck. The City of Lawrence uses Paymentus to process credit card payments. Paymentus’ payment center is online at https://ipn.paymentus.com/cp/clks.
Payments made through Paymentus may take up to 3 business days to be posted to your account. Late payment fees will be assessed on payments received after the due date.
You can also pay your Lawrence Utility Bill with a Visa, Discover, MasterCard, or eCheck over the telephone at: (877) 506-3115. You will be prompted for your identification number. This is the account number located on the front of your utility bill. If paying with an eCheck you will be prompted for your billing zip code. This is the zip code where your utility bills are mailed.
Payments made over the telephone are also processed through Paymentus and may take up to 3 business days to be posted to your account. Late payment fees will be assessed on payments received after the due date.
Utility bills can be mailed in the return envelope provided with your bill. All mailed utility bills are processed internally by city staff. It may take up to 3 business days to be processed.
Plan ahead if you are mailing your bill, bills are considered paid on the day they are processed, not the day they are mailed.
Mail payments to: P.O. Box 1757, Lawrence, KS 66044-8757
Drop Box Locations
Payments deposited in drop boxes are processed by city staff, so please allow three days for processing.
- Dillon’s (23rd Street and 6th Street locations ONLY)
- HyVee (Clinton Parkway location ONLY)
- City Hall (2)
- East of City Hall between the Riverfront Mall and City Hall
- In the foyer of the east entrance of City Hall (8:00am – 5:00pm, Mon-Fri)
Note: If paying with cash, please come in person to the City of Lawrence Utility Billing Office (City Hall – 6 East 6th Street, 2nd Floor), so that we may issue you a receipt. DO NOT mail cash or leave cash in the drop boxes.
Bills can be paid in person at the Utility Billing Service Counter in City Hall. Utility Billing is located on the second floor of City Hall, 6 East 6th Street. Hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday – Friday, excluding holidays.
If you pay late…
- A two-percent late charge is applied to the account
- Water service is subject to disconnection 20 days after the bill is due
- Restoring service includes paying all past due bills, reconnection fees, and unpaid deposits
- Checks returned for insufficient funds are subject to late penalties plus an additional $25 fee
- A $25 trip charge is applied to the account if a collection related trip is made to the residence/business
- Owners will be required to pay a deposit equal to the average of two monthly bills if their water is disconnected for non-payment two or more times in a 12-month period